Website Not Loading Page 2

Quote: jsg @ 16th April 2019, 10:56 PM

In the supporters' newsletter Mark mentioned this, especially with the recent spike around the This Time and Warren hour there have been points where there was too much traffic for the current server to handle. Fixing this by getting a bigger server will be expensive but necessary.

Ah right, cheers for that :) I suppose it's a good thing because it shows the website traffic is growing but it also means costly upgrade projects. I work for a company that manages web servers and customers can upgrade RAM, disk space and CPU resources to meet demand instead of buying a new server but it's still not cheap.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 16th April 2019, 9:25 PM

Also liked the AOL notification "you have email" and for years I thought it sounded like Joanna Lumley until I discovered it is Joanna Lumley. Around that time I was logging on to chat to a girl from New York so it was like my own version of You've Got Mail (although we were both single)

I don't have ICQ anymore, but that 'UhOh' sound when I got a message was SO cute. It was one of the first neat and tidy messenger apps that just sat on your screen, waiting to be used. I think I stopped using it once mobile phones started being able to do everything for me instead. Well...not everything, but most things...

Oh! Hello.

Sorry for not seeing this thread sooner.

Yes, the problem is at our end, not yours. As jsg relayed, BCG is now simply too popular and our server has been unable to cope with the huge number of people trying to access the site at certain peak times (Warren and Ghosts have been particular culprits). I work pretty much every waking hour, so probably no one feels the punch more keenly than I when the server goes down!

We are now working towards a new hosting solution for the website as a matter of urgency, but the costs are pretty eye-watering. If you value what British Comedy Guide offers, please consider supporting our work by becoming a donor and/or, if applicable, joining BCG Pro.

In the meantime, thanks for your perseverance and understanding.

Thanks for confirming Aaron and it's been fine for the last few weeks and when it does happen I only need to wait a minute or two so no biggie. Not sure if you have a supplier already but Claranet might be worth checking out.

Sorry if you have found/are finding the website intermittently loading today. The server is trying to remind us that it is due it's retirement carriage clock... we still can't afford to buy him one, so we are trying to patch him up and get him back to his desk.

If you'd like to help out with the carriage clock fund, and the wages of a bright teenage replacement server, we'd love you to become a BCG Supporter. Perks include less adverts on the forums for you in return too! :-) https://www.comedy.co.uk/donate

Quote: Mark @ 12th June 2019, 2:57 PM

Sorry if you have found/are finding the website intermittently loading today. The server is trying to remind us that it is due it's retirement carriage clock... we still can't afford to buy him one, so we are trying to patch him up and get him back to his desk.

If you'd like to help out with the carriage clock fund, and the wages of a bright teenage replacement server, we'd love you to become a BCG Supporter. Perks include less adverts on the forums for you in return too! :-) https://www.comedy.co.uk/donate

Enough! ENOUGH ALREADY! You have plucked at my heart strings Teary and I've heard your clarion call. Cool

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th June 2019, 11:32 AM

Enough! ENOUGH ALREADY! You have plucked at my heart strings Teary and I've heard your clarion call. Cool

Thank you so much for joining the Supporters gang Herc! Hopefully you'll find the thank you perks useful too. BCG pin badge coming in the post to you very soon :)

Quote: Mark @ 13th June 2019, 12:30 PM

Thank you so much for joining the Supporters gang Herc! Hopefully you'll find the thank you perks useful too. BCG pin badge coming in the post to you very soon :)

Perks? What perks?

Quote: Chappers @ 13th June 2019, 10:37 PM

Perks? What perks?

Perky things! I'll use this prompt as a chance to advertise the benefits. There's a full list at the bottom of https://www.comedy.co.uk/donate/ but in summary they include:

- Less adverts on the page

- Monthly prize draw entry

- Ability to get our daily email which contains 20 to 30 things to read/watch every day (it's full on nerdy, but some Supporters are loving getting this. Archive example here of a typical email - there's one of these every single day: https://www.comedy.co.uk/newsletters/archive/daily/example.html)

- More data views and filters... e.g. search programme lists by decade, or see TV schedules back to 1941, and a week ahead, TV ratings, and things like that.

- Five bonus questions in our quiz each week (it's been running for a year, so that's 250+ more to test you now)

- Plus, of course, the warm glow of being one of the best humans on the planet, helping to enable this website to grow [and stop crashing!] :)

Is it me, or is it really S.......L.......O.......W today?

Quote: Lazzard @ 19th June 2019, 7:23 PM

Is it me, or is it really S.......L.......O.......W today?

The site has crashed several times for me today but, on the bright side, it has on each occasion returned to life within a few minutes.

Yep, it's still very bad

Sorry! Yes, another bad day yesterday, right from first thing till late at night. We're working with the server company to try and make things more stable until we can afford a shiny new server. Hopefully the latest round of patches have made things a bit better today.

OK, I know I've come late to the party, but am surprised how many "regulars" are still not "supporters" and given the number of complaints about the slowness of the site and Mark & Aaron's appeal for more funds to buy a software upgrade - we (that's the Royal we) need more members!

You don't have to commit to a regular amount - a one off of say £30 or whatever you can afford will be great...............and apart from the "extras" you get a lovely badge - it's the talk of the old people's home for me as I flash it on my blazer lapel. :D

I've noticed my donation last year has expired so I shall be renewing it post-haste. Although last year I never received a badge :( maybe the postie nicked it the thieving bastard.