The top 20 Sitcoms - from the "experts" Page 2

Not a "bad" list. It does look weighted towards modern sit coms. Can't help thinking The Good Life is there more for its cast, superb bunch they were. I would agree Yes Minster should be in there. Surprised people are knocking Ab Fab, it was innovative and sold well in America.

Yeah, I've been watching the early series of Ab Fab recently and enjoying them a lot. It may have outstayed its welcome slightly in later years, but at it's peak it was a great show.

Didn't look at the list until now................................

Naturally I don't agree with what's in there, what's not in there and the order they are in BUT there is a glaring omission!!
Speaking on behalf of the Old Fart's Brigade, where the f**k is Hancock!!!

Classics that have stood the test of time, such as: -

HHH
The Reunion Party
The Missing Page
The Cold
Twelve Angry Men
The Economy Drive
The New Nose

Then there's HANCOCK
The Blood Donor
The Lift
The Radio Ham
The Bowmans
The Bedsitter

TOP TWENTY? MY ARSE!

If somebody published an "expert" list of the all-time top 20 British pop groups that included "Brotherhood of Man" while not including the Beatles at all, I think the credibility of that list might reasonably be called into question.

Some of the inclusions and omissions from the above sitcom list are equally damaging to its credibility.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 11th April 2019, 11:48 AM

If somebody published an "expert" list of the all-time top 20 British pop groups that included "Brotherhood of Man" while not including the Beatles at all, I think the credibility of that list might reasonably be called into question.

So in your analogy Fawlty Towers is the Brotherhood of Man?

Quote: chipolata @ 11th April 2019, 11:51 AM

So in your analogy Fawlty Towers is the Brotherhood of Man?

No, I think "Fawlty Towers" is probably "The Hollies".

How can there be experts on the quality of something like this. Everyone's idea of a quality TV series will be different, depending on their own experiences, outlook on life, opinions, beliefs, appreciation of certain styles and genres. I wish people would stop making lists like this. Polls...yes. They are fun and involve the audiences who watch them...and everyone expects a different outcome each time, depending on who could be bothered to vote at the time. We can accept the changeable results of polls where the general public have had input. Experts making a list, though? Experts in knowing what everyone in the whole world likes most...or, indeed, what we SHOULD like? Stop it.

And what about "Still Game" from north of the border?

Vastly superior to several of the sitcoms on the above list!

I don't think you saying that is going to make any difference to Briosaid putting you up for free when you take your holiday in Scotland. :P

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th April 2019, 4:26 PM

I don't think you saying that is going to make any difference to Briosaid putting you up for free when you take your holiday in Scotland. :P

My cunning plan has been exposed! >_<

I've now added the full list of "experts" to our story, if anyone's interested: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5260/fawlty_towers_tops_sitcom_list/

20 points if anyone can suggest a more believable reason for the make-up of the panel than "people Radio Times interviewed recently".

It is a good list of respected and reputable people but as I said how do they view their own sitcoms?

Quote: Chappers @ 11th April 2019, 9:55 PM

It is a good list of respected and reputable people

Lolly Adefope?

I'm sure she's respectable and reputable within the broad meanings of those terms but, when it comes to judging the relative qualities of British sitcoms over the past 60 years, when compared with the other names on that list she might as well be some random passer-by they've pulled in off the street because they had a spare chair at the meeting.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 11th April 2019, 9:58 PM

Lolly Adefope?

I'm sure she's respectable and reputable within the broad meanings of those terms but, when it comes to judging the relative qualities of British sitcoms over the past 60 years, when compared with the other names on that list she might as well be some random passer-by they've pulled in off the street because they had a spare chair at the meeting.

Isn't she/he? (I missed her/him when I scanned through the list)

I've nothing against Lolly personally but if they needed or wanted a tick in the BBC's diversity box, they would have done much better to invite the hugely talented and much more experienced Gina Yashere.