Plus One - Pilot

First of all I didn't realise who the lead was until the credits came up and I thought "He did look like Roy Kinnear!"

This was pretty poor. Many things bugged me about it, none more so than his sister, brother, best mate and work colleague being the same character. I can't stand those vacant, cocky characters we seem to be inundated with nowadays because people can't write character. All people you wouldn't want to spend any time with whatsoever. Here's an idea: Why not give each of them a personality?

Was there any point for Gemma Atkinson to be in the show saying the lines she did Rolling eyes And the whole toilet thing has been done quite a few times now in American films. It didn't seem to build up to an ending either. It was as if they were stuck and just threw something in at the end.

Don't see how it could be made into a series with it's wafer thin story.

I thought it was superior to Ladies and Gentlemen last week but weaker than the Martin Freeman ep.

It did make me laugh quite a few times and I thought that the premise was fairly original but the 2 main plot twists (with the phone and going to the toilet) were alarmingly predictable.

If it got a series then I wouldn't be devastated but I think it would be tricky to string it out over 6 weeks.

I thought it was all right, laughed a couple of times. Agree about the predictability.

But when will people realise we need more Miranda Raison on TV! :D

I didn't hate it overall but I did hate the way they credited the viewers with zero intelligence.

The pants-down in the bathroom gag is the sort of thing that has been done so much better elsewhere (e.g. the Curb episode "The Doll"). But the worst thing was the text message confusion ending. Not only did they have him read out aloud as he texted (so that we all knew it was an inappropriate message that he was sending to the wrong person), they went on to have a flashback of that scene for anyone who'd forgotten (or hadn't worked it out).

No series, please.

I keep missing these.

Damn! Is it on the same time as QI?

Quote: Badge @ October 21, 2007, 11:44 PM

I didn't hate it overall but I did hate the way they credited the viewers with zero intelligence.

Yes. I thought the acting was bad too throughout and ugly direction too. The odd funny moment but definitely not worthy of a series.

Martin Freeman's still had the best one, better then most series at the moment as well.

Quote: David Chapman @ October 21, 2007, 11:46 PM

I keep missing these.

Damn! Is it on the same time as QI?

10:30, so it's all good :)

I liked the Victorian Gentlemen one best!

If that was indeed part of this series. I'm getting confused.

That's Jonathan Ross time!

Quote: David H @ October 20, 2007, 10:17 AM

First of all I didn't realise who the lead was until the credits came up and I thought "He did look like Roy Kinnear!"

There's an interview with Rory Kinnear on our website actually - here, if interested

I actually thought the show was pretty good, looks like I'm in a bit of a minority. Out of the three so far I thought it was the second best (Other People my winner so far). Predictable, yes - but still funny IMHO.

Quote: Badge @ October 21, 2007, 11:44 PM

The pants-down in the bathroom gag is the sort of thing that has been done so much better elsewhere

To the writers credit - they actually based the chili scene on a real life experience, but yeah, fair point... the text message ending was somewhat obvious and the flashback insulting.

Quote: David Chapman @ October 21, 2007, 11:46 PM

I keep missing these.

They're all on 4oD if you did want to watch them back.

Really? I should have that on my Homechoice service then.

I'm watching Al Muray at the moment though.

Quote: Mark @ October 21, 2007, 11:58 PM

They're all on 4oD if you did want to watch them back.

Dave's computer couldn't handle that!

It couldn't! My TV could though (that's television).

For the record I really liked it. Mainly because I think Rory Kinnear was great, but also because it attempted a gradually escalating rediculous situation. It may have not achieved it that well but atleast it attempted it. I hadn't thought about it in the sense that all the supporting characters are essentially the same but that is a very good point. I don't think the flashback was designed to explain the joke.

Ignore me, posted on the wrong thread.

Quote: zooo @ October 22, 2007, 6:10 PM

Ignore me, posted on the wrong thread.

How could we ignore you zooo?