Al Murray's Great British Pub Quiz

Anyone? Thursday 8pm on Quest.

Quite enjoyable and not too testing with a bit of a laugh.

The only thing that puzzled me is why he wasn't dressed as his character The Pub Landlord.

I watched it last week and it's pretty good.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th March 2019, 11:54 PM

Anyone? Thursday 8pm on Quest.

Quite enjoyable and not too testing with a bit of a laugh.

The only thing that puzzled me is why he wasn't dressed as his character The Pub Landlord.

Because it's Al Murray's quiz, not the Pub Landlord's! I guess they wanted to play on the association, but not go the whole hog.

Quote: Aaron @ 21st March 2019, 12:17 AM

Because it's Al Murray's quiz, not the Pub Landlord's! I guess they wanted to play on the association, but not go the whole hog.

Still think it would have rounded it off nicely.

For those of us concerned about the domination of TV comedy by posh Oxbridge types, Al Murray is the supreme example.

Quote: beaky @ 21st March 2019, 1:18 AM

For those of us concerned about the domination of TV comedy by posh Oxbridge types, Al Murray is the supreme example.

Bit late to be concerned now as that has been the case for over 50 years - just let it wash over you. :) Having said that, I am often surprised at just how many people in present day comedy who you would think worked their way up via the school of hard knocks were actually university educated.

Quote: beaky @ 21st March 2019, 1:18 AM

A bit of research shows that Al Murray is the only son of a Lieutenant Colonel in the British army and a descendant of the novelist William Makepeace Thackeray.

His grandfather was the former British ambassador Sir Ralph Murray.

His great-great-grandfather, Dr George Murray, was Bishop of Rochester.

Sir Edward Leigh MP is his third cousin.

Perhaps most surprising is the fact that, if the appropriate people shuffle off this mortal coil, Al will become Baron of Strange and Duke of Atholl.

I strongly suspect that not a lot of people know that! :O

Quote: Rood Eye @ 21st March 2019, 8:16 AM

................. and a descendant of the novelist William Makepeace Thackeray.

SPOILER ALERT!! That is a question in Al's BCG quiz. Laughing out loud

The only reason I mentioned it is that his general persona is very much a man of the people. I think he's a brilliant comedian.

...and Thackeray had his moments too. Geek

I'm really getting into this now and enjoying it even more. Still think it's a shame (and a puzzle) he's not playing it as his famous persona, which I would have thought demanded it. Odd. Eh?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd March 2019, 11:16 PM

I'm really getting into this now and enjoying it even more. Still think it's a shame (and a puzzle) he's not playing it as his famous persona, which I would have thought demanded it. Odd. Eh?

He's a lefty comic these days - he wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

In tonight's episode of Great British Pub Quiz, there was a question about the most northerly capital. Reykjavik (64.08N) was accepted as answer, but Nuuk in Greenland (64.10N) is marginally further north.
Regards, Gilbert

Quote: Gilbert Parkes @ 25th April 2019, 10:55 PM

In tonight's episode of Great British Pub Quiz, there was a question about the most northerly capital. Reykjavik (64.08N) was accepted as answer, but Nuuk in Greenland (64.10N) is marginally further north.
Regards, Gilbert

But then Greenland, being a Danish dependent territory, is not a sovereign state that is a member of the UN in its own right and so probably would not have met the accepted criteria for the basis of the question.

Only just got round to watching it on the digi-box and love it for what it is - just a bit of a laugh, which is what it is. Love Al (but still don't understand why he doesn't do this as his alter ego) and am now a (minor) fan of Shaun Williamson.

Enjoyable show. :)