Shakespeare and Hathaway Page 2

Shakespeare & Hathaway - Private Investigators. Image shows from L to R: Frank Hathaway (Mark Benton), Luella Shakespeare (Jo Joyner). Copyright: BBC.

Shakespeare & Hathaway - Private Investigators

Comedy drama about an oddball pair of private detectives

Rood Eye

• Wednesday 6th March 2019, 3:50pm
  • England
  • 2,057 posts

If you look at the quality of the cast and the production values, the series has "winner" written all over it.

Unfortunately, when you look at the script and the plot, it has something else entirely written all over it.

Surprising really when you consider that a good script for any given show costs a TV company no more than a bad one.

Chappers

• Wednesday 6th March 2019, 8:21pm
  • Surreyish., England
  • 30,029 posts

Just watching episode 3 of the new series. I've realised* that the Russian lady is played by the gorgeous Carol Royle who I haven't seen on TV for ages.

* Thanks to this wonderful web site.

Rood Eye

• Wednesday 6th March 2019, 8:34pm
  • England
  • 2,057 posts
Quote: Chappers @ 6th March 2019, 8:21 PM

Just watching episode 3 of the new series. I've realised that the Russian lady is played by the gorgeous Carol Royle

I've never heard of her but, having found a photo of her online, I have to say I definitely would.

I may even check out Episode three of "Shakespeare and Hathaway" to see her in theatrical action.

Chappers

• Wednesday 6th March 2019, 8:39pm [Edited]
  • Surreyish., England
  • 30,029 posts

She starred in Life Without George back in the 80s (I think).

I also recognised the Russian who was her husband but again I had to look on here to find out who he was. He was in The Gentle Touch with another one of my favourite ladies Jill Gascoigne.

gb901

• Friday 8th March 2019, 3:26pm
  • norwich, United Kingdom
  • 356 posts

Christ- in the dire series finale the pc BBC even manage to get some bleeding heart, liberal social commentary in!

Rood Eye

• Friday 8th March 2019, 3:56pm [Edited]
  • England
  • 2,057 posts
Quote: gb901 @ 8th March 2019, 3:26 PM

Christ- in the dire series finale the pc BBC even manage to get some bleeding heart, liberal social commentary in!

When patients require liquidised food, it's not unusual for a bit of hopefully-undetectable medicine to be added to the mix.

gb901

• Tuesday 12th March 2019, 2:33pm
  • norwich, United Kingdom
  • 356 posts
Quote: Rood Eye @ 8th March 2019, 3:56 PM

When patients require liquidised food, it's not unusual for a bit of hopefully-undetectable medicine to be added to the mix.

Sticks and stones...!

G180e

• Wednesday 20th March 2019, 10:10am [Edited]
  • Wolverhampton, England
  • 3,297 posts

Didn't enjoy this second series as much as the first but I'd still watch a third. Not sure it's got enough mileage in it however to carry on past a third run, to be honest.

All in all however, a rather good easy to watch comedy-drama.

Chappers

• Wednesday 20th March 2019, 6:05pm
  • Surreyish., England
  • 30,029 posts

I'm still watching the second series but haven't watched the first yet. I'll see if it's still on Catch Up once I've finished this series.

Billy Bunter

• Monday 6th May 2019, 7:54pm [Edited]
  • The Sussex Coast, England
  • 721 posts

Thought I'd try the first series, which is being re-run on Alibi (9pm Fridays). I have to say the first 3 episodes that have been transmitted to date are far better than those early episodes of Series 2 that I gave up on.

Chappers

• Monday 6th May 2019, 9:16pm
  • Surreyish., England
  • 30,029 posts

I watched all of series 2 first and then series 1.

I enjoyed it all. I grew to like Sebastian. I found him really annoying to start with though.