Shakespeare and Hathaway

Another good comedy drama that they hide away on daytime TV.

Yes, it's an excellent series. Watched the first episode of Series 2 last night, I thought the story line with the dog was a bit weak but I'm hoping the rest of the series will be as good as the first series.

Hopefully this is the sort of series that will get a rerun on UKTV Alibi in a more primetime slot like Father Brown.

Quote: Chappers @ 25th February 2019, 10:27 PM

Another good comedy-drama

Quote: G180e @ 26th February 2019, 10:11 AM

Yes, it's an excellent series.

When I saw the title of this thread, "Shakespeare and Hathaway", it rang a bell but I couldn't remember anything about the series other than a vague recollection that it wasn't much good. After a few moments thought, I had another vague recollection that I'd come to that conclusion after watching episode 1 of series 1.

Buoyed by Chappers' post, however, I decided to have another look at it and quickly found episode 1 of series 2.

After watching it for a minute or two, I remembered why I thought it wasn't much good - because it really isn't much good.

Apart from the faults of the program itself (it's all so irredeemably dull and implausible), the title is contrived and ridiculous (even worse than "Parsley and Thyme") and it's even more ridiculous than it at first appears because Shakespeare is not the senior partner. If the title were "Hathaway and Shakespeare", it would be clever - but it isn't, so it isn't.

I recognise the need for easily digestible drama on TV and I don't seek to decry those who write or those who watch this sort of stuff.

I also recognise the fact that "Shakespeare and Hathaway" is very popular with viewers.

Maybe it's just me? Huh?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 26th February 2019, 12:08 PM

When I saw the title of this thread, "Shakespeare and Hathaway", it rang a bell but I couldn't remember anything about the series other than a vague recollection that it wasn't much good. After a few moments thought, I had another vague recollection that I'd come to that conclusion after watching episode 1 of series 1.

Buoyed by Chappers' post, however, I decided to have another look at it and quickly found episode 1 of series 2.

After watching it for a minute or two, I remembered why I thought it wasn't much good - because it really isn't much good.

Apart from the faults of the program itself (it's all so irredeemably dull and implausible), the title is contrived and ridiculous (even worse than "Parsley and Thyme") and it's even more ridiculous than it at first appears because Shakespeare is not the senior partner. If the title were "Hathaway and Shakespeare", it would be clever - but it isn't, so it isn't.

I recognise the need for easily digestible drama on TV and I don't seek to decry those who write or those who watch this sort of stuff.

I also recognise the fact that "Shakespeare and Hathaway" is very popular with viewers.

Maybe it's just me? Huh?

Not a patch on the enjoyable first series. As poster says it's incredibly implausible: they effectively solve cases via instantaneous searches of the internet wherever they are!

First time I came across it yesterday. I put it on series record thinking it may be an adequate replacement for Father Brown. I watched the first episode and immediately took it off series record.

Great series. Thoroughly enjoying Series 2. It should definitely receive a prime-time repeat. Could do well early on Saturday or Sunday evening - a sort-of spiritual successor to Jonathan Creek.

Quote: Aaron @ 26th February 2019, 6:09 PM

a sort-of spiritual successor to Jonathan Creek.

I believe that, in the private investigators' fraternity, Frank Hathaway is indeed known as "Jonathan Creek without a paddle".

It lurches from implausible to ridiculous!

And what's wrong with that? A bit of an antidote to all of those really dark dramas.

I caught a bit of this a few days ago and didn't think much of it, I'll give it another go though seeing as people here rate it

It's not hard work. It's just quite fun.

It's so simplistic it's almost retarded!

Quote: gb901 @ 4th March 2019, 6:12 PM

It's so simplistic it's almost retarded!

It's a harmless light daytime comedy-drama. I really like it and hope there's a 3rd series.

Ditto. Roll on Series 3!

Quote: Aaron @ 5th March 2019, 4:10 PM

Ditto. Roll on Series 3!

The stories get thinner and thinner as series two progresses: it's apparent they're scraping the barrels bottom and I'd be surprised if it stretches to a third!