Life in Black and White.

I'm sure a great many BCG members are old enough to remember the days when all (or almost all) films were made in black and white.

One of the strangest things about those old films is that, when a woman suddenly encountered a dead body, she would almost invariably scream. Did women in real life actually do that?

Another of the strangest things about those old films is that people would fall in love (either unilaterally or with each other) before they'd been out on a first date or even had a conversation with the object of their affections.

I remember one old film in which a man (John Mills?) used to visit a shop on a frequent basis in order to buy a newspaper or cigarettes or something similar. As a result of his very brief and businesslike interactions with the shop assistant behind the counter, he and she fell in love with each other and, one day, he just blurted out "I love you" and she replied, "I love you too". Did that ever happen in real life?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 24th February 2019, 3:31 PM

I remember one old film in which a man (John Mills?) used to visit a shop on a frequent basis in order to buy a newspaper or cigarettes or something similar. As a result of his very brief and businesslike interactions with the shop assistant behind the counter, he and she fell in love with each other and, one day, he just blurted out "I love you" and she replied, "I love you too". Did that ever happen in real life?

I think it happened in the recent Harry Enfield shows in the cafe.

What i remember from childhood is that you'd be going to see a film and there would be great excitement- 'It's in colour.'

Do you remember when you first got a colour TV? Do they have them North of the border yet?

It was 1978. I remember because I won some money on the office pools (quite a lot of money in fact) Other folk had it before then but we couldn't afford it.

https://goo.gl/images/ed4i6L

Quote: Chappers @ 24th February 2019, 8:55 PM

Do you remember when you first got a colour TV?

I well remember buying the very first Sony 'Trinitron' KV-1320UB 'revolutionary three gun" colour television set in 1969.

My wife had a dream job working for a millionaire and she got a fully furnished flat with the position, but some of the stuff was a bit dated, including a large wooden cabinet TV set (with sliding doors to cover the screen when not in use!), BUT it would only receive BBC & ITV with no BBC2.

Fed up of missing things such as "The Rowan & Martin Laugh In" (which was on BBC 2) I bought a small 9" B&W Russian portable set (all I could afford} and all was fine until one evening there was this loud "PHTANNNNG!" as the tuning knob on the side of the set shot across the room - for some reason it had a large spring behind it. Dunno why, but it made for an amusing moment.

Took the set back and by then the local department store had these new colour Sony sets on offer at £199.99 (over £3,000 in today's money!!) but via a Buy Now Pay Later agreement we managed to by one of these sets, WHICH for some reason now regularly feature on many "looking back at the 60s" type programmes.

Was a very good set and with the tuning dial (no push buttons or remote of course) you could tune into foreign stations and there were a couple of occasions I watched German and Dutch football matches from the continent.

I remember as a kid in the 80's inviting a mate from our street round to ours to watch the Spider-Man tv show

We sat down and he looked at the screen for a few seconds in bemusement...

"Black and white?? It's black and white! I'm going home to watch it instead..."

And I had to sit there watching it in all its grey monochrome shiteness

Yes we were poor

But 'appy

Quote: lofthouse @ 25th February 2019, 10:15 PM

And I had to sit there watching it in all its grey monochrome shiteness

Yes we were poor

But 'appy

Did you live in t'cardboard box in't middle road?

Aye lad

Aye!

The Sony Trinitron was the Rolls Royce of TV's when it came out.
I had a girlfriend who's mother and father had one and I paid more attention to that than her.

Then one day I came home from work (1976) and my father had bought this beauty
A 22 inch Phillips colour TV.
All the neighbors came in for a look.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 26th February 2019, 7:56 AM

Yes, I was a very rich person in the 60s..............I wonder where it all went. :(

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 26th February 2019, 7:56 AM

I had a girlfriend who's mother and father had one and I paid more attention to that than her.

Then one day I came home from work (1976) and my father had bought this beauty
A 22 inch Phillips colour TV.
All the neighbors came in for a look.

Did you ditch the girlfriend at that point?

Quote: Briosaid @ 26th February 2019, 10:11 AM

Did you ditch the girlfriend at that point?

If so, did you leave her for a colored girl?

The young un's will wonder what all this fuss is about with colour tv
But back in the 70's it was a very big deal.
I think even when people paid a fortune to buy or rent a colour TV there were still only a few programs broadcast in colour.

Here's a tale. When I was 10 or 11, I had a friend who lived in a great big house with loads of land.
His father bought him and his brother a car to ride around their fields in.
We had great fun and virtually learned to drive at that age.

He had a massive satellite dish at the back of the house, I'm guessing 30ft across and it moved with motors.
They told me what it was but it meant nothing to me at that age/time. (we are talking mid 60's here)
One day his father called us in to watch their TV. They had a colour TV that was linked to the satellite.
I watched popeye in colour. The first time I had even heard of a colour tv.

I remember telling my parents what I had seen and they didn't believe me - they told me not to be a liar.

This family had an electronics business in Bradford. He was getting into the satellite communications business. When SKY launched many years after - he manufactured and supplied all the decoder boxes to their customers and then worldwide. I remember reading they had sold 100 million boxes.