Women in magic.

Since the beginning of time, all the lucrative trades and professions (with one obvious exception) have been dominated by men.

It's easy to see why, historically, there have been very few women doctors, lawyers and engineers: the fact is that until relatively recently a male-dominated world conspired to deny women education.

It's only in recent years that women in stand-up comedy have ceased to be a rarity and that may be due to the fact that historically women were expected to be quiet and not to speak up for themselves in mixed company.

But what about magic? If you were to walk out onto the streets of any city in the world and ask people to name a female magician (I mean a real-life stage magician, not a fictional character from "Harry Potter"), it's entirely possible that you could be approaching people from dawn till dusk without hearing a single name mentioned.

The main reason that people can't name you a female magician is that there are so few of them in existence. The best estimates seem to be that about one magician in twenty is female. It's certainly true to say that magicians, both professional and amateur, will readily confirm that at magic conventions all over the world, there is never ever a queue for the ladies' loo.

As far as I can see, there is absolutely no reason why a woman should not be as good as a man at stage magic. Also, I can see no reason why a career in stage magic should be less appealing to women than it is to men. Also (again), there is absolutely no gender bar when it comes to to entry into the profession. And there's plenty of money to be made if you're good at it.

Why then are there so few female magicians?

Penn and Teller have had a few on their Fool Us show. Traditionally, women performing magic were likely to be burned, until the witches' lib movement led by Samantha Stephens, Jeannie and Sabrina (and her aunts), followed by Shannen Doherty in Charmed. Learning magic tricks may be more appealing to male misfits than to girls raised on the beauty myth. Also, it's not a lucrative career unless you're among the very best. The private party and cruise ship circuit doesn't bring in the big, big money. And it's harder to palm or conceal hamsters and other props if you have small hands or a dress (rather than a suit).

Quote: Kenneth @ 11th February 2019, 2:29 PM

it's not a lucrative career unless you're among the very best.

A tremendous number of women in Britain are unemployed and a tremendous number are employed on minimum wage of £8 per hour or less. In fact, the average wage for women in Britain is about £13 per hour.

However, if you're having a party in the south-east of England and want to employ a close-up magician for a couple of hours to entertain the guests, the best of them will charge you £1000. Some will charge much less but the average is going to be about £350.

All things are relative of course, and magicians in the North can expect to earn less, but I think most women in Britain would consider £350 for two hours work to be very good money indeed.

Funny you should bring this up, but some of the more exciting up and coming acts in majic are femail. check out the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzEQNDNaSXA

For me, the issue with magic is keeping it current. Pen and Teller have done that, but I still see most majicians doing card tricks and levitating women in sequin. Why ?

Just googled about female membership in the Magic Circle and females were only allowed to join since 1991 so maybe for a lot of women it's not been an attractive proposition to enter a profession that will be hard work to get the recognition they deserve because of a 'boys on the board' culture. I'm not suggesting the Magic Circle is like that and I don't even know if magicians need to be a member of the Magic Circle but I imagine it's similar to how performers like actors need Equity membership and musicians need to be part of the Musicians Union to be taken seriously as a professional.

I can't see anything physically that would make it harder for a woman to be a good magician so there is no reason why they couldn't become among the best but I doubt many parents buy their daughters magic sets at a young age and to be a good illusionist takes a lifetime of practice and study. Something you become devoted to in childhood. You can have the charisma to hold an audience but most important is being able to perform the trick consistently well and not keep making mistakes. Unless you're trying to be the next Tommy Cooper (Tammy Cooper)

I used to work for a theatre company that used illusions and the owner was a member of the Magic Circle. They were professional quality and I was bound to secrecy on how they worked :D We used to rehearse in a back room of a Butchers in Earls Barton and there were a lot of girls in the company. Which was nice.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 11th February 2019, 7:57 PM

Just googled about female membership in the Magic Circle and females were only allowed to join since 1991 . . . I don't even know if magicians need to be a member of the Magic Circle but I imagine it's similar to how performers like actors need Equity membership and musicians need to be part of the Musicians Union to be taken seriously as a professional.

Equity and the Musicians' Union are powerful organisations and you're not going to get much (if indeed any) work as a professional actor or musician unless you're a member.

The Magic Circle is completely different. It has absolutely no power (and probably no wish) to prevent non-members from working as professional magicians. It is purely a club for magicians and the main requirement for membership is that you're bloody good at the job.

Having said that, it's still possible (and by no means unknown) to be brilliant at the job and not be a member of the Magic Circle.

What about
Tammy Cooper
Paula Daniels
Alison Bongo
Davina Copperfield

Ok, I'm boring myself now.

Fay Presto.

Quote: beaky @ 11th February 2019, 11:12 PM

Fay Presto.

Now there's a magician who's made a few things disappear!

Quote: Rood Eye @ 11th February 2019, 11:23 PM

Now there's a magician who's made a few things disappear!

Haha!