What is going on with ITV comedies? Page 2

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 6th May 2019, 10:41 AM

Maybe another reason is ITV have invested a lot of money in a theme park apparently, with rides based on ITV shows!

No, ITV has signed an agreement with a company who are developing a new theme park where its (predominantly kids') shows could be turned into the subject of rides and attractions. They would be the recipients of money, in the form of licensing for their brands and IP.

So has the BBC.

Rising Damp is good no question about that. But to say no there was no other decent ITV comedies is IMHO wrong.

Watching ran for 56 episodes over 7 series had huge ratings and was consistently funny over all 7 series. Some brilliant one liners particularly, from the wonderful Emma Wray. Rest of the cast were solid as well, with Noreen Kershaw as Emma Wray's manic mother

ITV is shite for comedy. You can tell every show on there has been churned through the accountant's chamber in order to maximise profit. They focus too much on 'entertainment' with that god-awful Cow and that pair of granny favourites from Byker Grove. If they cared about quality content, they wouldn't have 6 hours of roulette on every night!
Every few years they attempt to commission and invest in quality comedy, do it poorly, fall short, and give up. BBC is the gold standard, C4 do some cracking stuff, Sky occasionally get a 6 out of 10 and Channel 5, well it's just a budget ITV.

If ITV do commission my show, I was hacked and refute this crazy post, but imagine me selling my work to ITV over BBC :evil laugh emoji:

Quote: Alfie J @ 7th August 2019, 2:03 AM

ITV is shite for comedy.

While that is substantially true, you could remove the "I" from the beginning of the sentence and it would still be substantially true.

The fact of the matter is that if you want to produce quality TV programmes, you have to employ people who are good at the job they do. I don't think that proposition qualifies as televisual "rocket science" but it seems to be something that is being conscientiously ignored by the powers that be.

We live in strange times.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 9th February 2019, 12:00 AM

Rising Damp is ITV's Fawlty Towers...

Indeed they even share a sub-plot in which a smarmy conman exploits the protagonist's snobbery and social ambitions to take advantage:

FT: "A Touch of Class" - TX 19th Sept 1975
RD: "The Perfect Gentleman" - TX 5th Dec 1975

( I know you weren't suggesting any great situational similarities except in terms of massive unexpected success )

... although boarding house landlord Rupert R could be considered a kind of hotelier at the very bottom end of the industry who probably didn't do his tax returns properly.

Quote: Text Lexus @ 8th August 2019, 9:10 PM

Indeed they even share a sub-plot in which a smarmy conman exploits the protagonist's snobbery and social ambitions to take advantage:

FT: "A Touch of Class" - TX 19th Sept 1975
RD: "The Perfect Gentleman" - TX 5th Dec 1975

( I know you weren't suggesting any great situational similarities except in terms of massive unexpected success )

... although boarding house landlord Rupert R could be considered a kind of hotelier at the very bottom end of the industry who probably didn't do his tax returns properly.

The similarities of RD and FT and of Rigsby and Fawlty and of several episodes have been discussed in the Rising Damp thread. I think it needs another airing and a bit more analysis as they are quite spookily similar in many ways.

Oh good. I don't think I've looked at the Rising Damp thread. Should make interesting reading, ta!