The Stand Up Sketch Show

So, where do you post a stand up and sketch show? Here's as good as any 'spose.

Saw this "advertised" on this site last night, gone now or did I dream it, and despite mixed reviews thought I would give it a look and glad I did.
I found it a nice concept - something different, well put together and mostly very funny including stuff from people I had never seen before (not something I normally shine to).

The stand out for me was somebody who has grown on me of late and that was Russell Kane - he was hilarious!! Laughing out loud

I've just watched the first two episodes of "The Stand-Up Sketch Show" and it's one of the most entertaining TV shows I've seen in a long time.

It's essentially a succession of stand-up comedians doing their act onstage to a live audience but, throughout each act, there are frequent cutaways to the story/joke being acted out by quality actors in quality locations and with quality production values thrown in for good measure.

The most surprising thing is that the comedians' material is, for the most part, excellent and that, plus very tight editing, makes for an exceedingly high-quality comedic experience.

The cutaways in which the story is being acted out are funny and very well done and the combination of the comedian as both narrator and actor works very well. I've never seen anything like this on TV before.

I'm not a fan of Joel Dommett and I'm not a fan of Russell Kane but, when a show is as fast-paced as this one, I'm happy to sit and watch them because I know that somebody a great deal funnier is going to be on in just a minute or two.

Thoroughly recommended!

Drunk History is a near-identical format, albeit the comics are recounting (or attempting to) historical, factual stories rather than their own routines.

This is really funny, in my opinion. The format is just perfect. No messing about...bam, bam, bam. No time to ponder between sketches. Also, having the comedian AND the actors lip sync the words from the set is just hilarious. Makes it even funnier.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th February 2019, 11:59 PM

The stand out for me was somebody who has grown on me of late and that was Russell Kane - he was hilarious!! Laughing out loud

Just had to watch his skit again this afternoon and still find it hilarious. The lad just gets better in my eyes.

Presume it's effin Virgin showing the same show three times now, but at last we had a new one this week, which I have just watched and am liking this format very much, and the star again for me was Russell Kane as I thought his skit was very funny on weight watching clubs. Dunno what it is but there's summat the lad does just right as far as I'm concerned - I'll have to get around to watching the two stand up DVDs of his I bought cheap on eBay at the end of last year.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th February 2019, 2:29 PM

Presume it's effin Virgin showing the same show three times now, but at last we had a new one this week, which I have just watched and am liking this format very much, and the star again for me was Russell Kane as I thought his skit was very funny on weight watching clubs. Dunno what it is but there's summat the lad does just right as far as I'm concerned - I'll have to get around to watching the two stand up DVDs of his I bought cheap on eBay at the end of last year.

I remember asking my kids for a Russell Kane DVD one Xmas, but I got a Russell Howard by mistake. Luckily I like both...but whilst their comedy is similar in a lot of ways (I think), Russell Kane is so perfect for this show, because he's already brilliant at creating a vivid picture of any situation he's talking about on stage. I always feel I'm right with him in his life...so the transition to sketch format works seamlessly for me.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 13th February 2019, 10:20 AM

I remember asking my kids for a Russell Kane DVD one Xmas, but I got a Russell Howard by mistake. Luckily I like both...but whilst their comedy is similar in a lot of ways (I think), Russell Kane is so perfect for this show, because he's already brilliant at creating a vivid picture of any situation he's talking about on stage. I always feel I'm right with him in his life...so the transition to sketch format works seamlessly for me.

Yes, you are so right in your summing up - his impersonation of his cockney highly charged testosterone Dad last week was hilarious!

The only thing you got wrong is the comparison to the unfunny Howard - he just gets on my tits, although I have to be honest and say I did warm to him a bit when he was on Taskmaster.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th February 2019, 11:06 AM

Yes, you are so right in your summing up - his impersonation of his cockney highly charged testosterone Dad last week was hilarious!

The only thing you got wrong is the comparison to the unfunny Howard - he just gets on my tits, although I have to be honest and say I did warm to him a bit when he was on Taskmaster.

Haha! I got it wrong, did I!

Yes, Russell Kane's portrayal of his dad makes me laugh out loud every time...and that's pretty hard to do. I think it's because, as he says, he's the opposite of that, which makes it all the funnier. He uses his small body to become this huge guy on stage and I truly believe all of it! It's just pure heaven to watch.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 13th February 2019, 11:13 AM

Yes, Russell Kane's portrayal of his dad makes me laugh out loud every time...and that's pretty hard to do. I think it's because, as he says, he's the opposite of that...........................

Yes, a Peperami with a mop of hair. Laughing out loud

I'm just watching the latest episode and there's a young comedian called George Lewis (from Stockport, near Manchester) whose voice and delivery style are remarkably similar to those of Jon Richardson. If you closed your eyes you'd be hard put to tell it wasn't Jon Richardson.

Sarah Keyworth and London Hughes really shone for me this week. Sarah reminds me of a very young Victoria Wood. Her patter is quick and natural. London is just BAM! BAM! BAM! I could watch her all day. Both were hilarious in their sketch clips. Quality stuff, there.

Anyone else watched 'Out There' on ITV? It features several of the comedians we're seeing on the Stand Up Sketch Show delivering one-liners and a few longer pieces in out and about locations. It's a very lighthearted and quickfire show. I've only watched one, so far.

That was just a pilot episode. Do start a new thread for it!

Not so good this week, apart from Dane Baptiste - I like him. Maybe that's why? Such a shame he couldn't manage any more "Sunny D" as I really enjoyed that. Only 4 episodes - what's that all about? :S Seems an odd amount for a sitcom.