New Comedy Blog

Hi all,

My name's Joshua Ross, I was a stand up comedian from 2011-2015 before issues with depression and anxiety got in the way. I was a comedian's comedian, which is far below an audience's comedian - but had some level of success.

I've started a blog at https://www.jongleurs.home.blog - focusing on mental wellbeing, alternative culture and the politics of comedy. I post every day in order to build enough material for my website, which I hope to launch in early Summer. This week has featured excerpts from a novel I'm working on about my time in stand up. I'm thinking about doing a one off hour long show at the Edinburgh Fringe this year, and would love to be healthy enough to do a proper run further down the line.

If anyone has any questions about how to get into standup, I would be more than happy to address them. I started at a time when 10,000 people were performing open mics in London and I saw some great comedians come out of that scene by asserting their personality, constantly improving and speaking for the times.

My CV read as follows:

New Comedian of the Year 2014
Jewish Comedian of the Year 2014
Up The Creek One to Watch 2012

Edinburgh History

Nick Elleray and Joshua Ross: Distract and Conquer; 2012
5-10 audience members per day

Sunil Patel and Joshua Ross; 2013
10-25 audience members per day

CKP Lunchtime Special; 2015 Just The Tonic at The Tron, mixed bill line up
50-70 audience members per day

Also, sorry if the tone comes across as patronising - I write this for the new act section before transferring it over here - my mistake.

Not at all patronising, Joshua - very helpful for aspiring stand-ups!

I like the comedy routine in '4 years of work for 7 minutes of jokes'. There's some good stuff in there.