Warren Page 9

Hi all

I'm Jimmy and Im the writer and creator of Warren. I came up with the original idea for Warren (link here https://youtu.be/5ARjZw7WyyE) and then wrote it with my friend Paul Mckenna (not the hypnotist).

So I read all these comments, it's taken a little while for my skin to grow thick enough to read all that everyone said, and was a hard and tough few weeks. Some comments where unkind, some funny, some encouraging, some personal, some sympathetic and some down right bonkers but I suppose that comes with the territory - BBC1, Monday night, Martin Clunes, before Partridge - it's an exposed spot!

I've never written a sitcom before, never written anything before only preformed, so when an opportunity like this comes along and having worked to try and make it in comedy for nearly 10 years, it's not something you turn down. We both worked so hard, tried our best, were paid very little (last year I earned £13k) and hoped for the best but sometimes things don't work out and this was one of them! I learnt so much from making this, some of it was a harsh lesson but ultimately it will make me stronger and my next show even better.

Thanks for all your comments, and thanks to Warren, it's opened a door for me to continue to try and make it in this industry! Hopefully my next project (touch wood) will be more appreciated and more to how I want it to be! Fingers crossed!

Thanks again,
All the best,
Jimmy

Kudos for coming on mate and explaining your position and how you felt. It's a bit like that scene in the Woody Allen film where the writer is in the queue at the cinema.

For me I said what I believed and still believe and that is more work was needed, on the dialogue and there were too many stereotypes. It's only my opinion but it's an honest one.

However the one thing I have learned since my first post is reflected in my last one:

"Rood I agree there is some good writing in there but I fear the writer may have been working under a remit rather than going totally down his own route."

I can now see that's what happened and I now totally understand what that's like. So I hope like you say that your next one better reflects 'You' rather than 'Them' And well done for getting on and then carrying on.

Teddy

Hats off for coming on here, and well done for getting a sitcom on TV. That's an achievement in itself in this day and age. Sorry it didn't work out but hopefully you'll go on to bigger and better things.

Yes, huge thanks for your response Jimmy. It must have been quite the experience indeed.

And you can console yourself with the fact that you got higher audience ratings than Partridge, never mind what the critics and commissioners ultimately decided!

Quote: Aaron @ 29th August 2019, 1:31 PM

Yes, huge thanks for your response Jimmy. It must have been quite the experience indeed.

Echoed.
And perhaps one of the BCG team might want to pin you down for a cheeky interview?
There's plenty on here who'd want to hear about the trials, tribulations and highlights of the process.

BBC1 and Martin Clunes, that's will look good on the CV. Good to hear your feedback on the feedback Jimmy.

Quote: Lazzard @ 29th August 2019, 1:40 PM

Echoed.
And perhaps one of the BCG team might want to pin you down for a cheeky interview?
There's plenty on here who'd want to hear about the trials, tribulations and highlights of the process.

Ha! I think I'll take my thoughts to the grave with me! But what's in your head and on the page is different to how it comes out. It's an interpretation from directors, producers, actors, critics etc and Unless you have total control (Gervais, Allen, Morris, Coogan etc) then you've always got to make and accept compromises even if you don't think they are right. That's the way comedy is on tv tese days and is why Stewart Lee stopped making TV.

The character of Warren certainly wasn't mean to be a total cunextuesday but with a second series we could have worked on it, built from what we could see wasn't right, and maybe gone on further but hey, thems the breaks. I've made my peace with it and I'm just so pleased I got lucky enough to have had the opportunity in the first place.

I'm already working on my next project, with all these past few years experience on board and I hope that my gravestone won't say "Jimmy Donny Cosgrove, never made it past series 1"

While I'm here - www.jimmydonny.com has some content you may love or you may hate but hopefully it'll make you laugh - after all that's all we comics want to do

Best
Jim

Wave

Warren met with a mixed reception but even those that didn't like it would (I think) readily admit there have been far worse sitcoms on TV - and far worse sitcom writers than Jimmy and Paul have made a living in the business.

My own take on the show is that it was a perfectly decent sitcom - let down only by Warren's occasional lapses into being an unpleasant sociopath. Most of the time he was a likeable grumpy sod who was fun to listen to and fun to watch.

But throwing those eggs at his neighbour's window? In this violent and threatening day and age in which an unpleasant neighbour can turn a decent neighbour's life into pure hell, that's a descent into serious drama that should be followed at the end of the episode by an announcer saying "If you've been affected by any of the issues in tonight's programme. . ."

Stick at it, Jimmy - whatever people think of Warren, you and Paul have a future in the business!

Well I enjoyed it Jimmy although I know I'm in the minority.

How did it get accepted? I mean were you commissioned having submitted something else? Do you "know" anyone in the business?

I'm not saying that nastily. Just wondered how you got your toe in the door.

Judging from the video Jimmy posted above, it looks like it's a character he created, made his own taster/pilot of a potential sitcom outing for, which was in turn picked up for development for TV.

Quote: Aaron @ 29th August 2019, 10:20 PM

Judging from the video Jimmy posted above, it looks like it's a character he created, made his own taster/pilot of a potential sitcom outing for, which was in turn picked up for development for TV.

Yeah spot on. I got a few go-pros, borrowed my dads shirts, grew a goatee, got some talented mates, hired a car, took 4 days off work and became Warren myself. It went on YouTube and was spotted by Tom Jordan the producer and the wheels started turning. I was told early on I couldn't be Warren and I had to decide wether I was going to be in the wheel rolling down the hill or watching it roll and went for the former!

A bit of luck as they say but I also made my own luck ????

! So your answer Chappers is just make a polished film yourself of your sitcom, hire a film crew, actors, editors, and send it in. Only cost you a few grand and if it's any good it may get picked up. Or may not. Why aren't we all doing it instead of moaning?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 30th August 2019, 7:50 AM

Why aren't we all doing it instead of moaning?

We're British. Moaning and griping and bellyaching and bitching is what we do best.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 30th August 2019, 7:50 AM

! So your answer Chappers is just make a polished film yourself of your sitcom, hire a film crew, actors, editors, and send it in. Only cost you a few grand and if it's any good it may get picked up. Or may not. Why aren't we all doing it instead of moaning?

Total cost me £300 (hire car, travel for actors and mics). You've got a smart phone? Film it on that. Superb quality some of these phones