Warren Page 3

So. I'm afraid to say that was one of the most unpleasant pilots I've ever seen. A truly vile and repugnant central character and a ridiculous subplot. I have absolutely no desire to spend the next five weeks in his company. Clunes is better than this

Good God it's not that bad! I've seen FAR worse.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 3rd March 2019, 1:19 AM

A truly vile and repugnant central character

I have a feeling that if we trawled all the sitcom reviews over the last sixty years, we'd find a few similar comments about Sgt Bilko, Harold and Albert Steptoe, Rigsby, David Brent, most of the cast of "Benidorm" and several others.

However, one person who I feel does not deserve to be so described is Warren, mainly because in terms of flawed character, he appears to be well within normal limits.

I find it difficult to understand negativity towards this sitcom. I can understand that some people won't like it very much but I can't understand why anybody would actually be against it.

Somebody on this thread was slagging off the scene with the clairvoyant. Fair enough - each to his own and all that - but I thought it was very well written and very well acted.

The writing duo are young and, in my view, full of potential. They're not Galton and Simpson but, to be fair, not many people are.

If people don't want to watch "Warren", that's fine - but I don't think any significant criticism can be levelled against it.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 3rd March 2019, 7:47 AM

However, one person who I feel does not deserve to be so described is Warren, mainly because in terms of flawed character, he appears to be well within normal limits.

I find it difficult to understand negativity towards this sitcom. I can understand that some people won't like it very much but I can't understand why anybody would actually be against it.

To be totally fair there were some lines that made me chuckle. I don't think I'm saying it's a bad sitcom. But I stand by my comments about the main character. I feel they were going for a Victor Meldrew vibe, however the major difference is that Meldrew was grumpy largely for genuine reasons. Warren is astonishingly rude (fly tipping, great way to get the audience onside...) as well as that awful temper tantrum in the garden centre for seemingly no reason other than 'he's rude just because'.

I have a feeling that if we trawled all the sitcom reviews over the last sixty years, we'd find similar comments about Sgt Bilko, Harold and Albert Steptoe, Rigsby, David Brent, most of the cast of "Benidorm" and several others.

Sgt Bilko vile & repugnant? I think not!

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 3rd March 2019, 9:11 AM

I feel they were going for a Victor Meldrew vibe, however the major difference is that Meldrew was grumpy largely for genuine reasons. Warren is astonishingly rude (fly tipping, great way to get the audience onside...) as well as that awful temper tantrum in the garden centre for seemingly no reason other than 'he's rude just because'.

I think this is the difference, yeah. TV comedy from the beginning, both here and in America, has shown bad people, but it's how it's done which you might have a problem with. If, as in Warren, there aren't really any reasons for them to act this way, there's little to no character development outside the lead in general, and it's just poorly written, then people are going to have a problem with it. We really know nothing about any of the characters beside Warren himself, and even with him we're not given a lot.

Because of this, his interactions with the people around him are just boring. It doesn't help that the programme generally is very one-note in its emotions shown, his grumpy attitude is it.

Yes, that's absolutely it. I will watch the next one, I always give a new sitcom two episodes. First episodes are notoriously difficult, I hope we see at least a little bit of a different side to him. But if not, then that'll be it for me.

Somebody on this thread was slagging off the scene with the clairvoyant. Fair enough - each to his own and all that - but I thought it was very well written and very well acted.

We've all seen this before!

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 3rd March 2019, 1:19 AM

So. I'm afraid to say that was one of the most unpleasant pilots I've ever seen. A truly vile and repugnant central character and a ridiculous subplot. I have absolutely no desire to spend the next five weeks in his company. Clunes is better than this

So? A needle pulling thread?

Ridiculous subplot? It's a sitcom!

Martin is a fine actor but I saw a few minutes of this last week and had to change the channel quickly. It's not fair to make a judgement from a short clip and not even seeing the beginning but the scene in the garden centre was painful.

Quote: Chappers @ 4th March 2019, 8:44 PM

We've all seen this before!

We have indeed, Chappers, but I didn't say it was original: I said the scene was well-written and well-acted.

Some of life's most enjoyable pathways are very well-worn.

(Moderators! They're making their own jokes up here!)

Episode 2 is on in five minutes so I'm off to make a cup of tea.

Tonight's episode was one of the funniest things I've seen for ages. Especially Jeremy Corbin as the traffic warden.

Episode two was a thoroughly enjoyable half-hour.

The only thing that lept out at me as "wrong" was the listing of the injuries (I won't say whose as it would be too much of a spoiler). I would have made no mention of any injuries, thereby suggesting that he was dead. If he'd been dead, it would have been very funny (comedy deaths have been accepted by comedy audiences since time immemorial) and the entire episode would have been even funnier than it was - but the listing of serious injuries is a very different thing.

For those who are not enjoying "Warren", I wonder if it's because Martin Clunes seems miscast?

The thought has occurred to me a number of times.

He's more likely been typecast. Doc Martin with a cockney accent.

Beginning to dislike him intensely so not sure if I'm going to continue with it. Unlike Meldrew, I have no sympathy with the character at all - he's just a nasty piece of work. With VM at least I felt his pain.