Independent British sitcom

Hey guys,
Came across this independent production company a couple of years ago.

They're called Take The Cake Productions. It's a guy called Michael who does it all.

I found them cause of their Most Haunted parody sketches.

He just released a pilot episode for a sitcom about a funeral directors, called Morbid.

He says he takes inspo from Only Fools and Horses and British Comedy.

Pretty cool, check them out!

Have you a link?

Here's the pilot episode: take your pick.

https://www.morbidsit.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr5siajUjv8

I've just watched it from start to finish and it's good.

At just over forty minutes running time, it's very well worth watching.

One thing I've never been able to understand is why it costs as much as it does to make a programme for radio or TV or film for the cinema.

Apparently, "Morbid" was produced on a budget of only £9,000 - a sum that would pay for about a quarter of a second of the James Bond film "Spectre".

Okay, I know special effects and international locations can be expensive but it still seems remarkable that it's possible to produce fifteen episodes of "Morbid" for less than the cost of a single episode of "Emmerdale" which itself costs less to produce than either "EastEnders" or "Coronation Street".

I think some soap actors might be being paid a bit too much.

Doubt anyone was getting paid industry rates - and no expensive actors.

Quote: Lazzard @ 17th January 2019, 4:58 PM

Doubt anyone was getting paid industry rates - and no expensive actors.

Quite right, Laz, and the fact of the matter is that if actors were offered the chance to work in a topline TV soap and receive only the Equity minimum wage for their efforts, they'd be queueing up around the block. I think it's also true to say that some of those actors would be a damn sight better at the job than some of the people who are currently being paid a fortune to appear in our soaps.

Betty Driver was apparently on £100,000 per year for saying "Hotpot, love?" twice a week at the Rovers.

Lot of shit actors in that queue, Rood Eye.
I think the TV companies have a pretty good idea of the pulling power of the talent and pay accordingly.
A lot of these 'pilot' productions rely on 'expenses only' payment for crew - laudable for a one- off, but unsustainable over the long term.
I think it's great they got it away (too long, though) but it's not a model for production generally.