Female comedy

I was just curious as to everyones thoughts on female comedieenes. too many/not enough, not as funny/just as funny, that sort of thing.

There arent enough funny women, at least not high profile funny women. I dont think its because the industry is male biased, but just that more men want try to do comedy than women.

Exactly. How many women want to become stand-up comedians? Not half as many as men is the answer so it is only natural that there should be more funny men on TV than funny women. I think the balance seems about right on TV at the moment. There are quite a few women in sketch shows, sitcoms and panel shows and thankfully we seem to have moved away from the funny fat woman stereotype.

It's often said that men don't find women comedians funny, but I count Victoria Wood, some of French and Saunders and Jo Brand as influences. I also like Catherine Tate, just feel she is let down by her material. Lucy Porter is another favourite and I haven't seen her live, but Ruth Pickett's myspace and Chortle blog always make me laugh - check them out, comedy fans.

One of the things I love about Seinfeld is that Elaine Benes is just as funny as Jerry, George and Kramer. Usually in a sitcom the woman is there to roll her eyes and frown upon the man's childish behaviour (Lead Balloon is a recent example of this), but Elaine was integral to the show's success, a believable 30 something female, as messed up as her male friends but witty and intelligent with it.

I think that that problem happens a lot because it is clearly more difficult in general for men to write real female characters than it is for them to write male characters. Thankfully with more women now writing sitcoms the situation is improving.

Is it? Seinfeld proves that it isn't more difficult for men to write real female characters. Good writers can write real characters regardless of sex, class, race etc. Bad writers come up with cliched characters, whether they're male or female, and there have been plenty of those in recent times (Dogtown, Respectable, Hyperdrive, Feel the Force etc).

I think female comedians are just as good as male comedians, Victoria Wood, Caroline Aherne, French & Saunders, Jessica Stevenson, Emma Kennedy, Sarah Silverman just to name a few are brilliant comedians and comedy writers.

I am here..I have arrived. How do i get started. (the soon to be most famous female comedian ever) lol

I know that there are not enough female comedians. Some shows however such as "Smack the Pony" which where meant to be more feminine shows have however helped a bit.

Of course, female comedy did lose a great heroine with the death of Linda Smith.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ December 17, 2006, 9:33 PM

I know that there are not enough female comedians. Some shows however such as "Smack the Pony" which where meant to be more feminine shows have however helped a bit.

Of course, female comedy did lose a great heroine with the death of Linda Smith.

Right on both counts. 'Smack the Pony' was one of the best female orientated comedies in recent years and has rarely been bettered (Tittybangbang or whatever it is doesnt even come close).

Linda Smith was a terrible loss and with me working in a bookshop, I am really pleased so many people are buying the new publication of her scripts. Shows how well liked and popular she was, and deservedly so.

I think female comics are a little wary when it comes to touchy subjects. Men are much braver.
Catherine Tate is opening the gates for us now, thank god.
Also Julia Davies, writer and actress of the very controversial,yet extremly funny Nighty Night, helped tremendously.
The best comedys have the cringe factor in there somewhere..

Catherine Tate is opening up gates?? What..so more people can build a show around thousands of catchphrases that stop being funny the second time you hear them.

People like Caroline Aherne opened up gates for female comedians. Catherine Tate is slowly but surely trying to force them shut.

OOOOOh Martin. You obviously dont like Catherine Tate.
I believe she is opening the gates up for us female comics and writers smply because she is pushing the boundaries. Not by her catchphrases, but her open, and often rude mind, and yes i know Little Britain done this first, but like i say, men WERE braver. Ladies will follow suit and more gal comics will be born

Think what you like about Miss Tate, she is massively popular right now, earning a fortune, and doing very well for herself. Good on you gal.

Jo Caulfield is an impressive stand up...and as i've been championing BBC 3's Pulling then Sharon Horgan looks to have a good future.

How did I know you were going to say that, Oliver?

There are lots of women who have opened the gates for female comedians and writers (Victoria Wood being the obvious one) but Catherine Tate ain't one of them. She's a decent comedy actress stuck in a sub standard sketch show. That's all there is to it. If anything, Catherine Tate is setting comedy back 20 years, along with all those other sketch shows that puke out one joke characters and tedious catchphrases in their quest for cheap laughs