Garfunkel and Oates

Garfunkel and Oates are two twentysomething American women trying to succeed as a musical duo performing satirical songs - usually quite naughty songs. The songs, however, take up only a tiny part of each episode. The duo is theoretically fictional in the same way that Keith Lemon is theoretically fictional.

The sitcom has tried and failed (twice) to succeed on American TV and has now been picked up by Netflix.

I've watched three episodes of the eight and I have to say I think it's absolutely marvellous. In fact, it's one of the most entertaining sitcoms I've ever seen.

Both girls (if I may use that word) are as cute as a button (if I may use that expression) and both are highly talented comedy actors (see, I used the right word there). One of the great mysteries of life is why America produces so many top-level women comedians while Britain produces so very very few.

In any event, Garfunkel and Oates represent to me everything that is good about America: I thoroughly commend this series to BCG members.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 23rd December 2018, 8:14 PM

One of the great mysteries of life is why America produces so many top-level women comedians while Britain produces so very very few.

I'm going to attempt to answer that, in my usual self opinionated way, so forgive me if you don't agree, anyone. I'd call it the Ruby Wax reaction or something. Take Ruby Wax, back to America! Please!!!

Apart from Ruby Wax I can't think of another top level American female comedian.