Shameless - Series 5 Page 3

Quote: ContainsNuts @ January 8, 2008, 2:23 PM

I love the way they just disposed of Lip by making it normal for him to chose uni over his wife and child. Especially as they spent a lot of last series showing how he'd do anything to be with her.

I didn't really like the 'fat wife' episode, but maybe they've set their standards too high as its one of my favourite shows.

Also it seems like the camper van lesbo and Debbie don't really have a lot to do. I think there are too many 'main' characters now.

Is Lip going out of the series?
I think Lip is Paul Abbott. He 'broke' away and went to uni

it seems to have lost the humour and become quite dark. I'm not enjoying this new series.

Has any British show, outside of soaps, lost this many characters from the series and still carried on to be successful?

I can't think of any, but the problem with Shameless, I think, is that the writers can't write like Paul Abbott. They are choosing dark/violent storylines as opposed to the light humorous ones previously.

Quote: bushbaby @ January 10, 2008, 10:12 PM

I can't think of any, but the problem with Shameless, I think, is that the writers can't write like Paul Abbott. They are choosing dark/violent storylines as opposed to the light humorous ones previously.

Fair comment.

I'm really enjoying it. I don't think it is dark at all really as it is all funny. There is a great preview clip on yahoo for next week ( i resisted turning over to e4 ) where the gay mcguire lad wants a cure for being gay and ian is standing behind the bar stroking the beer pump.

i'll find the link -or look at the yahoo tv section.

Sooooooooooooo glad to see the return of Shameless. Yes! the flavour is a little subdued at the moment, but hope it will revive it's old self soon!

Not sure how many old characters are gone, but it would be good to see Sheila & daughter back in the frame (probably won't happen though)

Each new episode reminds me of who is missing, but I'm sure there are more characters than I first thought? ... Debbi is a little irritating in this series, but I guess somethings got to give.

Anyway, I still love it & look forward to each new dose of Shameless.

Its getting pretty weak for me. Its lost is edge and drama. Too many characters and too much focus on the previously sub-characters.

I think this series has been okay but its nothing special like the first 2 series were. Apparantly Shelia will return in a few weeks time and that should give it a boost.

Apart from Frank though the series has lost its other 4 main characters in Fiona, Steve, Kev and Veronica so it is understandable that the quality would drop.

I think this is just Brookside in disguise, lol.

Are you saying that Manchester is similar to Liverpool because if so

How Dare you sir
(League of Gentlemen reference, not Catherine Tate)

I thought last nights ep was really good writing and very funny.
Ben Edwards wrote it, anyone heard of him before?

This just gets bettter & better. I am adoring the prosie character & I can't wait till next week with the birthing scene.

For those still hanging about--I've been on a Shameless jag lately, which usually coincides with me making a desktop/wallpaper:

hi-rez at: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3002/2467292779_ff704f84af_o.jpg

...and/or a DVD boxset cover:

hi-rez at: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2265/2460985731_bbe7f531a0_o.jpg

The desktop is a shot of thirsty Gallaghers waiting for the Jockey to open, and the DVD cover features a wonderful photo by Chris Floyd (wish I could find a bigger file) and is meant for a 12-DVD case that holds my collected Shameless.

Oh, and by the way, I usually paste this disclaimer on whenever I post imagery, and seem to have forgotten to at BSG Forums so far...so read this as retroactive, too, please:

As always, this image is for private use only, and its use for any commercial purpose is not intended nor condoned. All rights belong to the original artists, and none are claimed on my part.

It's obviously not Shameless, but it's Paul Abbott. And it's kinda like Shameless, if Monica (or Debbie) used to be a boy. And I quite liked it...Amelia Bullmore was marvelous. Hope it goes to series...

(Oh, and the front cover image was the only decent source material I could find, once again from BBC Three's Flickr page.)

hi-rez at: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3150/2561604002_2a28467c06_o.jpg

As always, this image is for private use only, and its use for any commercial purpose is not intended nor condoned. All rights belong to the original artists, and none are claimed on my part.