Pantomimes

Just wondered what pantomimes, if any, people are seeing this year? I'm an unabashed lover of panto, oh yes I am, (panto done well anyway!), arguably the last bastion of old school variety and I don't understand why it is sometimes looked down upon as a lesser art form within theatre, I've seen enough bad pantos in my time to know that putting on a good one takes bloody hard work!

This year I'm seeing the brilliant Clive Rowe as Widow Twanky in Aladdin at Hackney Empire, then Paul Merton in the same role at New Wimbledon Theatre (particularly excited about this one, Merton's my favourite comic so it'll be interesting to see his take on the Dame, given his encyclopedic knowledge of the history of comedy and variety). And then finally the big one at the London Palladium, despite Dawn French being the star name, Julian Clary is always the best part of it.

I too am going to the ones at Wimbledon Theatre & the Palladium. I went to the Palladium one last year (also with Julian Clary), which was brilliant.

I think it is always important to be selective apropos the star names. No soap stars or popular singers. Royce Mills was always good for many years as the dame at Guildford. And Biggins of course. Roy Hudd did a couple at Wiltons Music Hall near Tower Bridge 2 and 3 years ago but, like us all, he wasn't getting any younger and had to pull out of the "Waiting for God" tour in 2017 for health reasons and so hasn't done any more.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 22nd November 2018, 4:09 PM

I too am going to the ones at Wimbledon Theatre & the Palladium. I went to the Palladium one last year (also with Julian Clary), which was brilliant.

I think it is always important to be selective apropos the star names. No soap stars or popular singers. Royce Mills was always good for many years as the dame at Guildford. And Biggins of course. Roy Hudd did a couple at Wiltons Music Hall near Tower Bridge 2 and 3 years ago but, like us all, he wasn't getting any younger and had to pull out of the "Waiting for God" tour in 2017 for health reasons and so hasn't done any more.

Indeed, I saw The Chuckle Brothers last year and it was one of the best I've ever seen, but that's what you get with two pros with 50+ years experience of working audiences.

One of my earliest memories was seeing Joe Brown in Alladin when I was about 5 or 6. I can't remember anyone else from it though.

Just Googled it.

In 1963 Joe Brown and the Bruvvers played in "Aladdin" at Shrewsbury, Sutton and Brixton. The next year saw the return of Richard Hearne in "Puss In Boots" with Davy Kaye. 1964 was a good year for pantomimes, with Dick Emery and Sid James teaming up in "Babes in the Wood" at Shrewsbury, Sutton and East Ham, and Jess Conrad and Millie appearing in "Once Upon A fairy Tale" for Granada.

I've just checked out ticket prices for this year's London Palladium pantomime and I am slowly recovering from the shock as I write these words.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 22nd November 2018, 10:15 PM

I've just checked out ticket prices for this year's London Palladium pantomime and I am slowly recovering from the shock as I write these words.

"Oh no you're not" :P

Quote: Rood Eye @ 22nd November 2018, 10:15 PM

From £22.50 and £34.50 if you choose the right seat on the right day.

https://lwtheatres.co.uk/whats-on/snow-white-at-the-london-palladium/#book

I suggest you consider supporting your local drama club. You might be surprised how good some of them can be. The big theatres depend on fancy effects and big names but there 's little substance to the plots. And they don't charge stupid ticket prices.

Quote: Briosaid @ 22nd November 2018, 11:19 PM

I suggest you consider supporting your local drama club. You might be surprised how good some of them can be. The big theatres depend on fancy effects and big names but there 's little substance to the plots. And they don't charge stupid ticket prices.

I quite agree. If it's a play or show I want to see, I don't mind who performs it. I have been to the theatre 22 times in the past 12 months, 14 "professional" (some more what you might call semi-professional rather than professional) and 8 performed by local societies.

However, with pantomime, it's not the show I particularly want to see but to admire how the masters of their craft perform it.

With regard to "stupid ticket prices" I rarely pay more than mid-twenties for a ticket even in London. I always buy the cheapest ticket that's not stuck behind a pillar or similar. Then I can afford to go to 3 or 4 shows rather than one. I always feel one may as well be near the front of the gallery, for example, as at the back of the stalls. And I always book through the theatre website rather than an agency. They have a better range of prices and sell them cheaper.

People say the panto format is out-of-date. On no, it isn't.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 22nd November 2018, 11:00 PM

Thank God for that!

When I googled the show, the ticket site I clicked on didn't appear to have anything less than £179.

I'm not big on pantos but I can see why they are popular and the craft is apparent. What I don't get is how they still run after Christmas? Now I know they sell the tickets in advance, but who's planning in watching pantos on a wet Monday in January? Or am I missing something? Is it the cheaper seats or a long held tradition people have?
I would love to know the answer to that in all seriousness as I have often wondered about it? I mean I can see why the company do it as it's revenue, but it's the people? Is it mainly schools or something in January?

Has anyone written their own panto? Busy Bees could be a good place to send them.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 23rd November 2018, 4:52 PM

Has anyone written their own panto? Busy Bees could be a good place to send them.

I've written many a panto for my own club, but I just advertise them on my website.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 22nd November 2018, 11:00 PM

Stone the crows, that's more than a week's wages where I come from. Is there a Greyfriars/Bunter panto?