The IT Crowd Page 14

Quote: maxims @ 23rd February 2015, 6:44 AM GMT

Thanks for your reply! I mean that the story didn't involve any sexual background. But I got your point, I think. Well... in Ukraine such story wouldn't be that inappropriate in a company of young (under thirty) coworkers, especially men, which seemed to be stunned in that scene as well.

Update: I've checked for differences of use of "pariahs" and "piranhas". Both are outsiders, but first ones are rejected by society by default and second ones are rejected by society, because they "bite" people with their behavior.

The story has them picking up prostitutes, which makes them come across as as sleezy to the women and they don't do anything sexual with them, which makes them look like jokes to the men . . .
so not a story they'd want anyone judging them on . . .

Quote: ScotiaNova @ 23rd February 2015, 6:19 AM GMT

I may be wrong and she used the malopropism (wrong mixed up word). . .
nope, just checked and you're correct she does call them "piranhas" . . . apple orgies (apologies) . . .

They used malapropisms several times ... putting women on a pedal stool, turns out to be a damp squid. I felt they were a bit laboured.

Quote: fasty @ 23rd February 2015, 7:24 AM GMT

They used malapropisms several times ... putting women on a pedal stool, turns out to be a damp squid. I felt they were a bit laboured.

I'd forgotten about those, and then Jen gets to mock Roy in court in front of everyone . . .

This show is hilarious!
I haven't seen all episodes yet but The Work Outing has been my favourite episode so far, I couldn't stop laughing! That episode only got better and better, Awesome show :U

Believe it or not, I've just watched this programme for the first time. The first two episodes. I thought it was better than ok although I much prefer Father Ted and Linehan's television adaptation of Count Arthur Strong. IT Crowd seems to have elements of Reggie Perrin, The Office, perhaps League of Gentleman and possibly in its OTT ness something of Whoops Apocalypse although it's so long since I've seen the latter I can barely remember it.

Quote: Zerodecoole @ 24th April 2016, 9:45 PM BST

This show is hilarious!
I haven't seen all episodes yet but The Work Outing has been my favourite episode so far, I couldn't stop laughing! That episode only got better and better, Awesome show :U

For me the Work Outing is not only the best IT Crowd Episode, but one of the best sitcom Episodes of all time. Lost count of how many times myself and the Missus have watched it. Laughing out loud

Is that the one where Roy is leg disabled?

Yup, it is.

Then that is indeed one of the best episodes.
Which is unusual - often when sitcom characters leave the normal location we're used to seeing them in, it goes downhill.

Quote: zooo @ 28th April 2016, 1:44 PM BST

....often when sitcom characters leave the normal location we're used to seeing them in, it goes downhill.

Interesting observation. Could be discussed in a new thread.

I only saw The IT Crowd for the first time in January and quickly bought all the series. It's something I can put on anytime and end up watching an entire series. The Work Outing is my favourite and a great example of how good Linehan is at creating these absurd situations.

The bank robbery in series 3 and the one where Roy is mistaken for a window cleaner in series 4 are also ones I can watch again and again. I only wish Chris Morris had been in it more.

One scene I love is when the clown is pointing and laughing at the security guard for losing on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire :D I'm thinking of making it a screensaver.

Agreed that The Work Outing is one of the best. The hilarity just gets pushed further and further throughout the episode.

"The Work Outing" is a masterpiece of misunderstandings and "The Speech" has a hilairiously OTT punch up that looks like it was choreographed by a hollywood action film director. Moss on Countdown is fabulous.

After reading this exchange I revisited The Work Outing. As agreed, it's hilarious - and for someone trying to be a sitcom writer, like me, a masterclass in writing. The way it ends on the closeted gay guy telling Jen he hoped he might fancy her because she looks like a man, picking up on a throwaway line earlier, wraps everything up beautifully.

Don't forget the Countdown episode and the rules of Street Countdown. The same as normal Count down but on the street, it can get quite cold.

Plus the episode where they all go round Jen's for a dinner party and are paired off with dates. Episode is made better because it features Richmond.

In fact, all the episodes set outside of the basement are great. Wonderful show.