The IT Crowd Page 13

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ 1st January 2014, 10:48 PM GMT

My favourite was the one where Roy gets mugged by Nicholas Lyndhurst.

I firmly believe that would have been the case, anyway.

Laughing out loud

I have never watched this. Off work today and stuck for something to watch so I thought I would give it a go. Watching Series 1, Episode 1 :|

Tell me it gets better Errr

In my opinion, it gets better when you get to know the characters. I saw the second series first- it took me two or three episode to get into it, but The IT Crowd is now one of my favourite shows.

It's all subjective of course so you might think it gets worse.

......just watching episode 2. I don't particularly like the Jen character, or the performance of the actress.

I don't think it's going to be for you!

It's not at all realistic and the characters are unbelievable. But it's fantastic. It all depends if you like Father Ted.

Quote: Will Cam @ 21st January 2015, 2:18 PM GMT

......just watching episode 2. I don't particularly like the Jen character, or the performance of the actress.

I didn't like it much at first
But if you can put aside your prejudices, and try to like the characters then you will be rewarded with some excellent comedy

A bloke and a fit bird (who used to be a man) having a full-on punch-up in a lab - what's not to like? :)

Quote: Chappers @ 21st January 2015, 9:55 PM GMT

It's not at all realistic and the characters are unbelievable. But it's fantastic. It all depends if you like Father Ted.

I love Father Ted

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 21st January 2015, 9:59 PM GMT

I didn't like it much at first
But if you can put aside your prejudices, and try to like the characters then you will be rewarded with some excellent comedy

I will keep trying.

My absolute favourite beyond any doubt is:-

"Are We Not Men?"

Where Moss and Roy try being macho by blagging their way into becoming friends with some football fans in the local pub, which then gets them involved in a robbery, and how Moss "deals" with the situation during the police raid.
So very, very, very funny.

Effin brilliant and superb.

This one? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpjYGjSeLoE

That's a tiny bit of it. :D

Hello. I have a question regarding the very first episode of The IT Crowd - "Yesterday's Jam" for better understanding of cultural context.

In the end of that episode, Moss tells the story about when they went to Amsterdam (the prostitutes story) and all the guests get quite shocked with it. Later, Jen says they're "social piranhas", which obviously meant this story was not appropriate.

Does such a story sound that inappropriate in Britain? I mean in a company of adults, of course.

P.S. Sorry for my English.

Quote: maxims @ 23rd February 2015, 5:48 AM GMT

Hello. I have a question regarding the very first episode of The IT Crowd - "Yesterday's Jam" for better understanding of cultural context.

In the end of that episode, Moss tells the story about when they went to Amsterdam (the prostitutes story) and all the guests get quite shocked with it. Later, Jen says they're "social piranhas", which obviously meant this story was not appropriate.

Does such a story sound that inappropriate in Britain? I mean in a company of adults, of course.

P.S. Sorry for my English.

In polite adult company where you don't know everyone else it's not entirely appropriate . . .
can't remember exactly what is said, but does Jen call them "piranhas"?
I know you indicated english isn't your first language but it was more likely "social pariahs" but I may be wrong and she used the malopropism (wrong mixed up word). . .
nope, just checked and you're correct she does call them "piranhas" . . . apple orgies (apologies) . . .

Quote: ScotiaNova @ 23rd February 2015, 6:19 AM GMT

In polite adult company where you don't know everyone else it's not entirely appropriate . . .
can't remember exactly what is said, but does Jen call them "piranhas"?
I know you indicated english isn't your first language but it was more likely "social pariahs" but I may be wrong and she used the malopropism (wrong mixed up word). . .
nope, just checked and you're correct she does call them "piranhas" . . . apple orgies (apologies) . . .

Thanks for your reply! I mean that the story didn't involve any sexual background. But I got your point, I think. Well... in Ukraine such story wouldn't be that inappropriate in a company of young (under thirty) coworkers, especially men, which seemed to be stunned in that scene as well.

Update: I've checked for differences of use of "pariahs" and "piranhas". Both are outsiders, but first ones are rejected by society by default and second ones are rejected by society, because they "bite" people with their behavior.