The Reluctant Landlord - Series 1 Page 2

Quote: beaky @ 31st October 2018, 7:20 PM

As a first-time sitcom writer whose second series wasn't commissioned until the audience figures of the first were pored over and analysed, I find it almost insulting that Romesh's second series was commissioned before the first was even broadcast, presumably because of his fame.

You mean he's more famous than you Beaky?

Haha! Sorry for coming across a bit pompous there!

Quote: beaky @ 31st October 2018, 7:20 PM

Romesh's second series was commissioned before the first was even broadcast, presumably because of his fame.

I think that presumption is absolutely correct.

When you're running a commercial TV company, the importance of "bums on seats" is paramount regardless of how good, bad or indifferent a programme might be and Romesh's name alone is sufficient to attract a very significant audience. Additionally, in this modern day and age, a critic must think very carefully indeed before saying anything remotely unflattering about Romesh.

All in all, therefore, the show's commercial and critical fortunes are almost guaranteed regardless of its quality.

I too found the first episode weak, will try the second next week.

Can you imagine what the classic sitcoms of the past would have been like if they only cast them with established stand-ups , rather than established actors?
Sadly, that's all today's tin-eared commissioners feel safe green-lighting.

Quote: jsg @ 31st October 2018, 9:02 PM

This was eclectic and funny, I liked it

And that's the thing about comedy, it's so subjective. I haven't watched it but I will.

Quote: beaky @ 1st November 2018, 9:08 AM

Haha! Sorry for coming across a bit pompous there!

You didn't. What you said was correct. There are certain comedians who are being pushed. I'll say no more.

Quote: Lazzard @ 1st November 2018, 10:24 AM

Can you imagine what the classic sitcoms of the past would have been like if they only cast them with established stand-ups , rather than established actors?

"The Likely Lads" starring Mike and Bernie Winters?

The mind boggles but unlike "The Reluctant Landlord" it would at least have been well-written.

The series was not recommissioned merely on Romesh's fame. It is not being broadcast live! Series 1 was filmed and completed months ago. A second series was ordered off the back of the quality of Series 1 episodes, not merely the star name. It's not a new phenomenon.

Quote: Aaron @ 1st November 2018, 12:10 PM

A second series was ordered off the back of the quality of Series 1 episodes, not merely the star name.

I don't think anybody is suggesting that it was recommissioned merely because it stars Romesh.

People are suggesting that his fame and popularity are significant factors in its recommissioning and that suggestion isn't, in my view, entirely unreasonable.

Neither is it, in my view, unreasonable for a TV broadcasting company to want to cash in on that fame and popularity.

Business is business.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 1st November 2018, 1:02 PM

Business is business.

Is that a Theresa May quote ?

It's a great premise, lots of potential conflict. Lots of current issues, like Romesh's beard and the declining pub culture. His star is currently flying high in the sky. As someone else indicated, this is a lower risk venture. We just need David Jason to do his famous pub fall in the background, or Barbara Windsor to apply for bar work....

Quote: Will Cam @ 30th October 2018, 8:25 PM

One of my top three unfunny comedians along with Nish Kumar and Joel Dormett. I am sure they are all nice people and someone must find them funny, but I'm not one of them.

Oh Christ. Nish Kumar. Same for James Acaster for me too.

Some of these more modern comedians who whore themselves out to everyt panel show running seem to rely on cheap politcal digs at the bleedin' obvious. This new wave of comedian in the last 5 years is woeful in my opinion.

Back on topic before this post gets shut down! ... Romesh. He's a grower (oh err!). I need to watch his new sitcom. I don't see him as some interlectual writer with a knack of producing overly hilarious and original comical settings but I will give it a go.

Really enjoyed Episode 2. Good laughs. Very entertaining.

To me, it looks very much as if every line of dialogue has been recorded separately from every other line - possibly in a different studio on a different day.

Everything else about the show has "potential winner" written all over it.

It would be transformed out of all recognition into a seriously good sitcom if the cast were to be given their scripts and told "That's basically what we want - now improvise it!"

Quote: Lazzard @ 1st November 2018, 10:24 AM

Sadly, that's all today's tin-eared commissioners feel safe green-lighting.

Clive Dunn and Bill Pertwee did the equivalent of stand up. Kenneth Williams did International Cabaret. Comedians have always done sitcoms, Hancock and Harry H Corbett/Wilfred Brambell were the exception.

I finally watched the first episode yesterday and found it weak and disappointing, with a very slight plot that could barely carry it along. And as for all those hashtag jokes...