Sally4Ever Page 2

Still brilliant! I can't wait for next week's and I wouldn't mind a second series. The part on the set reminded me of Chegwin in Extras, even though I suppose they're not that similar

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 11th November 2018, 5:48 PM

I thought episode 3 was perhaps the weakest so far.

I found episode three as brilliant as episodes one and two.

This is truly remarkable stuff: my hat is off to all concerned with Sally4Ever.

So far I am enjoying this, I'm a big Julia Davis fan and always on the look out for anything she is involved with. The closest writer to what she is doing at the moment I think is Phoebe Waller-Bridge but Phoebe makes it more colourful rather than dark but both very good.

The ending of last week's episode...!

I thought it was a solid start but ep 3 was abysmal! firing up 4 now...

The Julian Barratt and Felicity Montagu back-and-forth lacks any sort of bite, falls far short of what we'd expect from 2 big names.
There was an almost plagiaristic homage to Ricky Gervais's Extras in there.
And whilst the climax was funny (albeit executed a little short of potential), it was a laboured, 2-episode arc to get us into that situation.

Riveting stuff as ever. I thought the bit of levity (well, compared to what happened to him before) from Alex Macqueen's character was quite funny. This series has been a rollercoaster.

Still enjoying and despise Emma far more than I did Jill Tyrell. My problem going into this episode was the flaw inherent in the premise - why on Earth is Sally, a successful woman, with Emma after all she keeps doing? The cringey realism works to an extent, but Sally doesn't act or react like any sane person would and her continual meek inability to tell Emma to get out is just as infuriating!

I suppose it is a bit escapist when you put it like that

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 26th November 2018, 4:11 PM

the flaw inherent in the premise - why on Earth is Sally, a successful woman, with Emma after all she keeps doing?

I don't think we can reasonably call that a flaw inherent in the premise.

Throughout history, there have been many couples who, on the face of it, were appallingly mismatched and yet who enjoyed perfectly happy enduring relationships.

If we leave aside enduring relationships between mismatched individuals and look instead at relatively short-term mismatched relationships (such as Sally and Emma's), there will have been a great many more, of course. I think most of us will know of at least one and some of us have probably even been in one ourselves.

Good point but to be fair, we aren't given much of an answer as far as this series goes as to why Sally acts like this a lot of the time. Given how eccentric Emma is it might make more sense if there was more of a reason behind it. Either way I'm not complaining

The work outing last week is my favourite episode so far; the donut scene had me howling! Though how on Earth this is all going to be tied up in Thursday's episode is anyone's guess!

I've just seen Episode 4 and I'm now more convinced than ever that we are in "all-time classic comedy" territory. As Dr Doolittle might say, I've never seen anything like it in my life.

Julia Davis (as both a writer and an actor) is absolutely fearless in her pursuit of excellence. She doesn't just push boundaries: she blows them to pieces.

Roll on the BAFTAs I say!

Well. Thoughts on the finale? The end of the best comedy of the year, Julia Davis deserves every gong going come awards season, an astonishing piece of work. And it even delivered a happy ending (of sorts)

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 7th December 2018, 9:30 AM

Thoughts on the finale?

Unfortunately, I don't have Sky Atlantic and am therefore reliant on the kindness of strangers when it comes to viewing Sally4ever.

I've seen the first four episodes so far but I'll comment on the remaining episodes as soon as I can.

I can't say I remember any other comedy having a story arc that's this extra the whole way through! Hoping it's recommissioned.

It's interesting to see dark comedy go from underground channels and upcoming talent (Asylum, Human Remains, Nighty Night), and usually having very dingy aesthetics, to now being something more popular. Established actors, mainstream press coverage, now more on the side of luxury than dingy, though you can still see where it came from (Flowers, Sick Note, Back).