Defending The Guilty

Defending The Guilty. Image shows from L to R: Caroline Bratt (Katherine Parkinson), Will Packham (Will Sharpe). Copyright: Big Talk Productions.

Defending The Guilty

Comedy about a pupil barrister and the chambers he works at

Charlie Boy

• Thursday 20th September 2018, 6:02pm
  • Edinburgh, Scotland
  • 548 posts

Another worthless "sitcom".

zooo

• Thursday 20th September 2018, 11:06pm [Edited]
  • United Kingdom
  • 69,186 posts

Loved it. Will Sharpe's amazing.
It reminded me a bit of This Life and Teachers.

Rood Eye

• Friday 21st September 2018, 12:56pm
  • England
  • 2,570 posts

I'd describe this as a "very decent" sitcom.

On the negative side, it's bound to suffer dreadfully by comparison with the utterly glorious "Rumpole of the Bailey" which, while not actually a sitcom, was nonetheless about barristers and frequently very amusing.

Still on the negative side, the dialogue includes references to a "pupil master", something that has not existed for quite some time. The correct term is "pupil supervisor".

On the positive side, the characters are interesting, the dialogue is slick and witty, production values are high, and it gives the public a reasonably accurate insight into the little-known world of barristers.

Oh, and did I mention that it was funny? It's certainly funny and, when you think about it, that's all a sitcom has to be, isn't it? When watching a sitcom, anything else you find on your televisual plate is a bonus.

It's a "Yes" from me!

Aaron

• Friday 21st September 2018, 5:14pm
  • Royal Berkshire, England
  • 68,345 posts

I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the series.

Chappers

• Wednesday 11th September 2019, 10:50pm
  • Surreyish., England
  • 30,342 posts

Looks a good cast. Was that Jim Moir (Vic Reeves)?

Stephen Goodlad

• Thursday 12th September 2019, 10:17am
  • Mirfield, England
  • 3,371 posts

I checked out the writers, I hoped it was the poster that always said she was writing a barristers/legal sitcom.
She was one herself. Jennifer was it?

playfull

• Thursday 12th September 2019, 12:08pm
  • Nottingham, England
  • 1,584 posts
Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 12th September 2019, 10:17 AM

I checked out the writers, I hoped it was the poster that always said she was writing a barristers/legal sitcom.
She was one herself. Jennifer was it?

Jenny? From Derby?

jsg

• Thursday 12th September 2019, 4:14pm
  • United Kingdom
  • 225 posts

How often is it that a pilot also becomes the first episode of the series? Freezing is the only other one I can think of.

Rood Eye

• Thursday 12th September 2019, 5:39pm [Edited]
  • England
  • 2,570 posts
Quote: Rood Eye @ 21st September 2018, 12:56 PM

it's bound to suffer dreadfully by comparison with the utterly glorious "Rumpole of the Bailey"

It's nearly a year since I wrote the above and only today I found a review of Defending the Guilty written at almost exactly the same time that said: "The decline of our great British nation over the last forty years can be measured by comparing an episode of 'Rumpole Of The Bailey' with this infantile abomination!"

If anybody else comes across that review, please don't think it was me that wrote it.

I like Defending the Guilty. Laughing out loud

Rood Eye

• Monday 16th September 2019, 6:21pm
  • England
  • 2,570 posts

The six-part series starts tomorrow night at 10 PM on BBC2 with a repeat of the pilot episode.

I shall be watching Netflix but I'll tune in the following Tuesday for episode two, which I haven't seen.

Chappers

• Monday 16th September 2019, 7:27pm
  • Surreyish., England
  • 30,342 posts

Is this the first series then? Was it originally on Netflix and now being shown on BBC2?

Rood Eye

• Monday 16th September 2019, 8:05pm [Edited]
  • England
  • 2,570 posts
Quote: Chappers @ 16th September 2019, 7:27 PM

Is this the first series then? Was it originally on Netflix and now being shown on BBC2?

It's not on Netflix: the pilot episode was shown originally on BBC and, presumably because it was popular, they commissioned a series of episodes.

RadioTimes.com says there are six episodes including the pilot.

Charlie Boy

• Monday 16th September 2019, 8:21pm
  • Edinburgh, Scotland
  • 548 posts

How did this get a series?

Rood Eye

• Monday 16th September 2019, 8:47pm [Edited]
  • England
  • 2,570 posts
Quote: Charlie Boy @ 16th September 2019, 8:21 PM

How did this get a series?

Partly because it's funny and er . . . that's about it, really. Laughing out loud

Aaron

• Tuesday 17th September 2019, 1:15pm
  • Royal Berkshire, England
  • 68,345 posts
Quote: Chappers @ 16th September 2019, 7:27 PM

It is the first series.

It's a BBC Two original. Rood Eye is saying he'll be watching Netflix rather than 'Episode 1', because it is in fact a repeat of the pilot as aired last year.

Incidentally, the series was commissioned in April last year, and the pilot aired without announcement or fanfare. It was never supposed to be broadcast as a pilot, only ever as Series 1 Episode 1.