Not Going Out - Series 10 Page 7

I didn't realise we were getting 2 Christmas specials this year. One is called 'Driving Home For Christmas' according to Wikipedia and the citation/reference points to Avalon's website confirming 2x45 minute specials - http://distribution.avalontelevision.com/not-going-out/

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 28th May 2019, 11:29 AM

Well the series went out on a whimper it;s sad to say, with a plot lifted almost entirely from Fawlty Towers (I did enjoy Lee finally snapping at the end though)

I was trying to remember what it was from, why it was so familiar.
I did like the episode though, and Lee kicking off at them all was great.

Will there be an 11th series?

Quote: jsg @ 29th May 2019, 12:46 PM

Will there be an 11th series?

Never mind an 11th series, I wouldn't be surprised if there were to be a 111th series!

I think Lee Mack is so well-liked by viewers that the inordinate number of embarrassingly bad jokes isn't objected to at all - especially as we all know that he must know a lot of the jokes are embarrassingly bad. Strangely, that means that the performing of them is actually funny.

If the day of ever dawns when the show consists of Lee reading from a telephone directory for 30 minutes, it will be a sign that further series are unlikely to be produced.

Luckily, we're nowhere near that stage just yet.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 29th May 2019, 12:58 PM

Never mind an 11th series, I wouldn't be surprised if there were to be a 111th series!

Salliod returns from bingo early to find that the Leebot 3000 has nicked the bath tub, fitted it with wheels and is out of control?

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 28th May 2019, 11:29 AM

Well the series went out on a whimper it's sad to say, with a plot lifted almost entirely from Fawlty Towers (I did enjoy Lee finally snapping at the end though).

Errr...? Too me a good while to work out what you were referring to! The two are really quite vastly different.

Oh, really?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 1st June 2019, 4:59 PM

Oh, really?

There's not a lot in common besides a woman pretending to be another woman.

Quote: Feeoree @ 28th May 2019, 4:26 PM

I didn't realise we were getting 2 Christmas specials this year. One is called 'Driving Home For Christmas' according to Wikipedia and the citation/reference points to Avalon's website confirming 2x45 minute specials - http://distribution.avalontelevision.com/not-going-out/

The BBC has announced one this year, and studio recording dates so far only point to one further edition.

I suspect this either either a mistake, or a special for 2020. I'd be very, very surprised if two air this Christmas.

Quote: jsg @ 1st June 2019, 5:31 PM

I assumed he was referring to "The Builders".

Quote: jsg @ 1st June 2019, 5:31 PM

True that I didn't make it clear the Fawlty episode I was referring to was The Builders.

Fawlty Towers' The Builders is about a man who refuses to pay for a good builder and is scared of his wife finding out the cheap, lazy builder has done a shoddy job and goes to extraordinary lengths to cover it up

The last episode of Not Going Out is about a man who refuses to pay for a good builder and is scared of his wife finding out the cheap, lazy builder has done a shoddy job and goes to extraordinary lengths to cover it up

Obviously there are some differences but personally I thought a lot of the moments and beats were very similar that's all

Ah ok, it's been a while since I've seen it. I've been meaning to though, apparently Cleese's commentaries on the remastered DVD are good.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 1st June 2019, 8:17 PM

True that I didn't make it clear the Fawlty episode I was referring to was The Builders.

Fawlty Towers' The Builders is about a man who refuses to pay for a good builder and is scared of his wife finding out the cheap, lazy builder has done a shoddy job and goes to extraordinary lengths to cover it up

The last episode of Not Going Out is about a man who refuses to pay for a good builder and is scared of his wife finding out the cheap, lazy builder has done a shoddy job and goes to extraordinary lengths to cover it up

Obviously there are some differences but personally I thought a lot of the moments and beats were very similar that's all

Ah! My bad. I thought you were talking about Mrs. Richards and the vase!

As to the builder, it wasn't an entirely new concept even to Fawlty Towers - but I see your point. Big similarity between the two.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 1st June 2019, 4:59 PM

Oh, really?

O'Reilly was the name of the builder.

Everyone's lost their sense of humour around here. Including me.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 5th June 2019, 5:06 PM

Everyone's lost their sense of humour around here.

I lost my sense of humour soon after losing my religion.

Oh no! I've said too much!

PS: That's a better joke than anything heard on "Not Going Out" for a very long time.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 5th June 2019, 5:49 PM

I lost my sense of humour soon after losing my religion.

Oh no! I've said too much!

PS: That's a better joke than anything heard on "Not Going Out" for a very long time.

Don't worry. You've still got your virginity to lose.