Not Going Out - Series 10 Page 4

Oh well, it all went as well as could reasonably have been expected. No major catastrophes and the only minor catastrophe was the unscheduled appearance of a microphone at the top of the screen. As catastrophes go, that one was indeed very minor.

For any viewers who really enjoyed the live performance and would like to see more, I hear that there are live performances of scripted stories being performed in a number of locations throughout Britain. Some are serious, some are funny and others are a bit of both.

If enough people start going to see them, they could really catch on.

The snag, of course, is that you'll never see any of these live performances if you insist on... (wait for it)... not going out.

Well I don't know about anyone else but I really, really enjoyed that. Not as many slip ups as I was expecting but the one near the start was handled brilliantly. Loved the Rob Brydon gag, and as someone who's been to a few of the normal three hour recordings purely on a technical level this was amazing, I think the biggest props has to go to Hugh Dennis and Abigail Cruttenden, I thought that song was just a gag but actually going through with it!

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 21st December 2018, 9:36 PM

.... I think the biggest props has to go to Hugh Dennis and Abigail Cruttenden, I thought that song was just a gag but actually going through with it!

We were at Pinewood in the studio audience - the song was incredible and got a huge audience reaction :) a great night!

Quote: Rood Eye @ 21st December 2018, 8:59 PM

Live TV broadcasts are happening every day and it's very rare that anything technical goes wrong sufficiently badly as to disrupt the transmission.

If anything goes wrong on stage for Lee and his cohorts, as I said in a previous post it'll be absolutely hilarious and the program will be all the funnier and therefore the better for it.

Essentially, anything that goes wrong will from a comedic perspective be going absolutely right!

As with Inside No 9 where the sound supposedly cocked up, some things which go wrong do seem frustrating rather than funny. The good thing about the Lehrer send up is that it is was right for the characters and they presented some funny 'iums as substitutes! I thought that Lucy's costume in the variety show was strange. I thought it was to stop her being injured but I wonder now if it was to enable quick change?

I also really enjoyed it. Wonderfully funny - as always - and made great use of the live element whilst also doubling-up the gags so it works on a repeat or rewatch.

Watching it again I notice that the variety show doesn't start with her tied to the wheel. So it must be my imagination. I suppose I expect to find problems so I see them, even if they aren't there.

Using the theory postulated in Sitcom Geek's episode that every sitcom contains a "mother", a "father", a "clown" and a "craftsperson" it does seem quite parent heavy, with both Lucy's parents and Toby & Anna acting as parent figures, with the latter two being your argumentative sort of parents.

It worked brilliantly. The main problem is though that the shows take on average 3 hours to record. Also Lee had been practicing his juggling for months including the run-through that I went to back in I think) September?

Plus a couple of topical gags thrown in for good measure. Obviously you can't rely on the kids for a live show.

Quote: Aaron @ 22nd December 2018, 1:55 PM

I also really enjoyed it. Wonderfully funny - as always - and made great use of the live element whilst also doubling-up the gags so it works on a repeat or rewatch.

Don't think we was watching the same thing, Aaron. I wasn't keen at all, in fact it was probably the worst episode I've ever seen of Not Going Out. Hopefully Series 10 itself will be much better. When is that due to air?

Later in 2019. It's still filming for a good while yet.

For those who've been to the recording what do you think of the episode/s you saw?

Series 10 is looking great so far! the episode I saw had no kids (which to some is a bonus) and seemed to include Anna and Toby a lot more in the episode. I feel that it may have been a little rocky at the beginning but mainly due to a quiet audience and soon was as lively as ever after Lee had cracked a few jokes.

Sounds good. I went this week, very good. No children, lots of Anna and Toby like you said. Hopefully there will be a Series 11, looks like the show is in fine form.

Does anyone know about s10 start dates?

Quote: MarieJade @ 4th March 2019, 6:19 PM

Does anyone know about s10 start dates?

Unconfirmed, but I think end of the year is most likely, considering its recording dates.

Recording dates? They've finished filming or so I thought? There is going to be a Halloween and Christmas special but I don't see why that would postpone the rest of the series ?