The Doubter's Mysteries: The Creation

This may not be entirely appropriate in this forum, as it isn't primarily comedy, although it does have some laughs in it.

'The Doubter's Mysteries' are an attempt to write a short cycle of Mystery Plays - ie. plays based on Bible stories, like the Medieval Mystery Plays of York, Chester and Wakefield - from the point of view of a sceptical modern audience; an audience which either doesn't believe in God, or can't work out what he's playing at.

There are fourteen of these plays, and the first is now online: 'The Creation (and the Fall of Lucifer)'.

http://edwardpicot.com/mysteries

Quote: Edward Picot @ 24th August 2018, 9:10 PM

This may not be entirely appropriate in this forum, as it isn't primarily comedy

It's entirely appropriate for this forum and, if it isn't primarily comedy, I'd like to know what it primarily is.

In my view, it's comedy of a very decent standard indeed. It might not be everybody's cup of tea but, having said that, nothing that's ever been written or broadcast in the history of the world has been everybody's cup of tea.

The bottom line (again, in my view) is that it is worthy of attention from any radio or TV producer looking for comedy material.

Well done!

I'll have a look tomorrow. Edward's work is always interesting.

Love it.
Like an agnostic version of the 'Screwtape Letters'.
Bit wordy for a play, in my opinion, but would make a great set of e-books.
And you know your stuff.

Brilliant writing - puts me in mind of Bedazzled.

Thanks, chaps! That's really encouraging. Some of the later sections are less funny, in fact some of them are properly dark, but I'll continue to post here as you've been kind enough to show an interest, at least until someone tells me to shut up.