Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing Page 3

Quote: Rood Eye @ 2nd August 2019, 12:33 PM

In this modern day and age, I could write you a long list of essentially talentless bastards who, for one reason or another, are doing very well indeed in showbiz.

Or rather, a list of people whose work you don't personally enjoy.

Quote: jsg @ 2nd August 2019, 2:25 PM

Or rather, a list of people whose work you don't personally enjoy.

I could send you that list, if you like, but I feel it might only serve to confuse you as it would contain names such as Lee Evans - a highly talented comedian whose work I don't personally enjoy.

It would also contain other names but the point is that there are comedians who lack talent and there are comedians whose work I don't enjoy but those two groups are not identical.

A much more important point, of course, is that Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse are both highly talented comedians whose work I personally enjoy very much and they have given the world an exceptionally entertaining TV programme in Gone Fishing.

Granted, though what I was getting at is that there's no universal formula. Something may not be of everyone's interest but it may appeal a lot to some, hence saying someone shouldn't be on TV because of this is a bit silly.

To get back on topic I'm looking forward to this programme too.

It is a great programme. I missed the first 15 minutes or so so I'll have to watch it on catch up. 2 naturally funny people.

I'm just watching the first ever episode of Foyles War and there's a scene there with Foyle and his son fly fishing.

Quote: Chappers @ 2nd August 2019, 11:04 PM

I'm just watching the first ever episode of Foyles War and there's a scene there with Foyle and his son fly fishing.

I bet it wasn't half as funny or charming as Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing.Whistling nnocently

Two very funny men, but this just leaves me flat. Perhaps it's 'cos I find fishing an absolute bore. They mention the wonderful scenery, which is true so I would be much happier if they did a prog., say summat like "River bank walks we love".

I see edgy chatter, not friendly banter.
Whitehouse is a bit snidey.

As an animal lover and all-round good egg, I applaud the practice of releasing fish immediately after catching them.

Having said that, isn't it a bit like spending an afternoon betting in the bookies and, every time you lose, the bookie keeps your money (as usual) but, every time you win, the bookie hands you your winnings, you look at the cash for a few seconds and then give it him back?

Or, alternatively, you're going out on a date. You shower, brush your teeth, put on your best clothes, aftershave, take your date to a restaurant where you entertain her with sparkling wit and repartee, you pay for the food, you pay for the wine and you drive her home. You go in, have a cup of coffee with her, one thing leads to another and you wind up in bed together. Then, just as you're about to do the deed you say, "You know what? This is enough for me" and the two of you part company.

View the situation how you will but it remains a fact that fish have been an oppressed minority for thousands of years and only recently have some anglers decided to treat them with the respect and kindness they deserve.

I foresee a time when schoolteachers will teach kiddies about the days when fish were not allowed to vote, or own property or become TV commentators, actors or comedians.

Gone Fishing, in promoting kindness to captured fish, is one small step for man, a giant leap for fish-kind.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 3rd August 2019, 1:23 PM

As an animal lover REALLY?, I applaud the practice of releasing fish immediately after catching them.

Why not just leave them in the water then and stop shoving barbed hooks in their gobs.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd August 2019, 3:03 PM

Why not just leave them in the water then and stop shoving barbed hooks in their gobs.

I can't answer that for myself as I'm not in the habit of shoving barbed hooks into fishes' gobs

As a non-angler and animal lover, I look forward to the day upon which fish are left entirely to their own devices but, in the meantime, I applaud any improvement in the conditions under which they are hunted, caught, imprisoned and, in many cases, dispatched.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 3rd August 2019, 3:26 PM

I can't answer that for myself as I'm not in the habit of shoving barbed hooks into fishes' gobs

As a non-angler and animal lover, I look forward to the day upon which fish are left entirely to their own devices but, in the meantime, I applaud any improvement in the conditions under which they are hunted, caught, imprisoned and, in many cases, dispatched.

And eaten?

It was the television started humanising fish. They started to make fish human. First of all there was that shark thing, Flipper - he had more GCEs than you. Then there was Squidly Diddly, the octopus - he used to play the drums.
There was Michael Fish. Yes, it's true, I'm telling you - in case they were related to The Man from Atlantis.

And that report from the council health inspector didn't help none either...

A wonderful, sublime series. I am so delighted it's back on screens - but for a mere six weeks again. Paul and Bob are a wonderful pairing. Oodles of laughs in this show.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 3rd August 2019, 5:16 PM

It was the television started humanising fish. They started to make fish human. First of all there was that shark thing, Flipper - he had more GCEs than you. Then there was Squidly Diddly, the octopus - he used to play the drums.
There was Michael Fish. Yes, it's true, I'm telling you - in case they were related to The Man from Atlantis.

And that report from the council health inspector didn't help none either...

Don't forget Billy the Fish!

Mortimer and Whitehouse: Gone Fishing is either one of the best shows ever on British TV or one of the worst. It depends who you ask because it's the sort of programme, I think, that will attract either the former opinion or the latter, and not many in between.

Personally, I'm very much of the opinion that it's one of the best but I bet there are lots of viewers who've come across it in a TV listings guide and rejected it automatically and I bet there are lots who've given it a try and decided it's the biggest load of rubbish they've ever seen.

I mean - what actually happens during the show? Not much, if truth be told.

Two old blokes go fishing and catch either nothing or very little - and that's the story of every episode.

Try pitching that to a TV production company and see how far you get.

But somehow, it works. It works absolutely splendidly.

I find every single moment of it fascinating: not only is it thoroughly enjoyable TV but watching it is a deeply heartwarming experience - and you can't say that about many programmes these days.

If Bob Mortimer fancies a platonic same-sex relationship, he can move in with me tomorrow! Laughing out loud