A subjective question

..but what are current comedies that are of some quality?

I rarely go and discover comedies for myself as I have such poor discipline in sitting still and giving things a chance.

I go by recommendations.

It doesn't seem like there's any groundbreaking comedy these last few years, or currently.

I've just finished 'People just do Nothing' which was basically an Office rip-off, but I did appreciate Chabuddy G character.

This Country - again, very Officey but much better than PJDN overall and likable characters.

It just seems like everything has been done and only rip-offs are being made now.

Yep all the good comedies have been made, all the good music has been made and all the good movies have been made

It's all been done

Just live in the past like me and ignore absolutely anything made in the present day

Quote: lofthouse @ 29th April 2018, 10:18 PM

Yep all the good comedies have been made, all the good music has been made and all the good movies have been made

It's all been done

Just live in the past like me and ignore absolutely anything made in the present day

And your point is, behminztur?

Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Twelve seasons strong and still hilarious.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 29th April 2018, 9:47 PM

I rarely go and discover comedies for myself as I have such poor discipline in sitting still and giving things a chance.

I go by recommendations.

It doesn't seem like there's any groundbreaking comedy these last few years, or currently.

I've just finished 'People just do Nothing' which was basically an Office rip-off, but I did appreciate Chabuddy G character.

This Country - again, very Officey but much better than PJDN overall and likable characters.

It just seems like everything has been done and only rip-offs are being made now.

I never watch shows that are being broadcast live anymore because I always plan on watching them at a later date and I also think the lasting power of something is important. When shows like Red Dwarf and Bottom were first on it would be a long wait to seeit on video if you missed it on TV so missing them was out of the question but now there are so many ways of catching up it doesn't matter. Some shows that I didn't think anything of at the time they were on are Inbetweeners and IT Crowd but when I finally watched them I discovered they are laugh filled, little bundles of joy spreading bundles of joy.

Not sure about the Inbetweeners but the IT Crowd is hilarious as are most of Lineham's work.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 29th April 2018, 9:47 PM

I go by recommendations.

I'd recommend you try Detectorists if you haven't yet. Not ground breaking in form but really well done with an unusually high quality of production for these days that many have commented on. It was a little Officey in its dramedy type scripting but Crook can be forgiven for that imo.

Derry Girls.

Stop watching telly/'puter/smartphone and get a life instead?

Sorry, just a really silly thought..

Ill Sleepy

Lofyhouses' reply is sound but there must be periods wherein "art" flourishes and other times when things aren't so good.
At the risk of sounding like a nostalgia junkie, I would agree with Tommy's opening challenge that we are in a down period now. Some modern comedies are acclaimed as "award winning" with viewing figures about a twentieth of Dad's Army. I know we all watched as a family then and things are different now but I find myself switching channels after a few minutes of the latest attempt to reheat old ideas and old comedians.
I watch hardly any TV sitcoms (all the way through) now and actually neither do my children. They would rarely look up from their phones to watch TV and I am not sure they have a 30 minute attention span anyway.
My opinion is that things will improve as the BBC steadily disappears. It already looks like a decayed dinosaur and when it goes the comical, hopeful, but usually disappointed, talent that is queued outside its very narrow and exclusive doorway will find new, online outlets.
I haven't yet seen it, but my hope is that short online videos, from writers of real quality, will start to attract attention that will fund ever more ambitious efforts in a virtuous spiral and become real alternatives to the broadcast giants.
They said, on another thread, that there were nearly 3000 submissions to the Writers Room competition. There must be some real gems there which will never get past the Gate Guardians. How can we expose that great stuff?

Quote: Auntybellum @ 14th May 2018, 12:49 PM

Lofyhouses' reply is sound but there must be periods wherein "art" flourishes and other times when things aren't so good.
At the risk of sounding like a nostalgia junkie, I would agree with Tommy's opening challenge that we are in a down period now.

Quote: Auntybellum @ 14th May 2018, 12:49 PM

I watch hardly any TV sitcoms (all the way through) now

uhuh

Derry Girls, Gameface, Harry Hill's Alien Fun Capsule (OK not sitcom, but still makes me laugh out loud, something a lot of sitcoms can't manage!), Detectorists. I've mentioned Always Sunny but I'll do it again because it's so damn good.

I thought PhoneShop was pretty good