The Generation Game

Now, I know this isn't classed as comedy, but I just had to air my opinion on the comeback.

Brucey and Jim did fantastic jobs when the show was in its pomp.

Mel & Sue were absolutely infuriating.

The conveyor belt prize bit was bloody embarrassing. Why were they pronouncing the prizes in such an unfunny and demented fashion?

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 2nd April 2018, 6:42 PM

Brucey and Jim did fantastic jobs when the show was in its pomp.

Don't forget Larry Grayson. (Enjoyed the documentary on him on ITV3 later but that's another story. Or another thread...)

The problem is we've seen it all before - the potter's wheel, the spinning plates, the play at the end. So it is only the presenter's interaction with both the contestants and the audience that is going to make it any different and therefore funny all over again. And these presenters weren't really strong enough in that department. Not really sure that a further two "celebrities" sitting on a sofa added anything to it either. And as for their attempt to work in a catch phrase ("use your eyesies to memorises the prizes"). We all know that catchphrases invariably come about by accident.

Clearly even the BBC didn't have enough confidence in it to put it on in its traditional Saturday evening spot. And I understand they have already cut the number of shows from the intended four to just two.

On the other hand it was better than the programme it replaced on a Sunday evening ("Hold The Sunset"). Just hoping they find something of similar mediocrity to replace "Mum" permanently on a Tuesday evening.

I found it an entertaining watch, but nowhere near as good as it should have been. With 23 series of history to go on, it felt lacklustre. Like someone had missed the point of the show and its magic.

And, yeah, Mel & Sue - as good as they may be elsewhere - just didn't suit the format. It requires a host (not hosts) who'll rib and gently mock the contestants whilst getting involved a bit more themselves, whilst M&S felt far too friendly and chummy with them.

I mean, I'd watch more, but it could have been so much better.

Quote: Aaron @ 5th April 2018, 8:22 PM

I found it an entertaining watch, but nowhere near as good as it should have been. With 23 series of history to go on, it felt lacklustre. Like someone had missed the point of the show and its magic.

And, yeah, Mel & Sue - as good as they may be elsewhere - just didn't suit the format. It requires a host (not hosts) who'll rib and gently mock the contestants whilst gpetting involved a bit more themselves, whilst M&S felt far too friendly and chummy with them.

I mean, I'd watch more, but it could have been so much better.

Politically correct BBC dont do mocking anymore - however gentle - for someone might be offended!