New Invention (short animation)

Hey All

New animation from me: https://youtu.be/xSXe96xQ440 . All comments/criticisms on the script, look, music, editing and voice-acting welcome.

Kind Regards
Yacob

Very funny, Yacob. I love how you did the writing!

Love it. Love the way the writing is done. Think the speech could be slowed down just a little.

Thanks Beaky! Always nice to hear your thoughts on my stuff.

BTW, I might be stating the obvious, but the hands were traced from photos (yes, I'm a hack. At least they were self-shot photos of my own hand). Drawing hands in difficult. Animating them is NAAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHH!

Quote: BTF @ 1st April 2018, 8:23 AM

Love it. Love the way the writing is done. Think the speech could be slowed down just a little.

Thanks BTF! I'm wondering if I should take the video down, play around with the audio and re-upload it. Also, I wonder if the issue is the music being too loud rather than the dialogue being too fast? The music is low in the mix but maybe it's too distracting? (If anyone has any comments on this then please give them)

Thanks again
Yacob

I think that the dialogue is a little fast and could also be a little louder and clearer. I had to replay it several times to get it.
The music could be a little lower but not much lower. I like the music and think it adds to it.

Thanks BTF.

To make the dialogue louder I'll have to make the music a little quieter as the overall volume is already as high as it can be. I could make the dialogue a little clearer if I turn the echo down.

The problem with making the dialogue slower is I'll have to re-record the line (which usually involves me screwing up a lot of takes first) and then change the timing of everything else in the cartoon (animation, music, quill sound effect) and that'll probably take me about a week, so if I can make improve the audibility of the dialogue another way I'll go with that.

Yes I would try the short way as that will help a lot.
It is not worth the time otherwise as if the music is quieter it will be heard better. Also, to some extent, having to work out some of the words he speaks adds to its charm.

I played around with the sound but I didn't change enough to warrant uploading a new video. In the future I'm going to have to be a little more wary of sound-editing before I upload things.

I'm guessing it's audible enough for people to understand though, even if the occasional word is hard to decipher (and that might be partly down to the ridiculous accent rather than the editing).

UPDATE: I ended up re-uploading the video with improved sound. The difference is very slight but it's there. The new version is linked to in the introductory post.

Yes. I think also a little slower with the accent! It definitely has charm though.

Good that you resisted the temptation to explain what the new appendage might be - that would have ruined it.

Great joke - I got there a couple of seconds early, but none the less enjoyable for that. The animation is better thane ever, I like the realistic feel of the over the shoulder shot, and the music was well chosen. In short, this one's a hit!

NB I hadn't seen the previous edit, and could understand it fine.

It is way better now. Pretty clear and easy to understand.

Thanks for the kind words. Good to know I've done a better job with the sound this time round.

I enjoyed that, nice and quick and funny.

Carlos often hears that.