Recent sitcoms Page 2

everhopeful

• Saturday 31st March 2018, 2:11pm [Edited]
  • United Kingdom
  • 9 posts

It was suggested that I might try a comedy called Fleabag. I don't have Netflix or Sky, just terrestrial and Freeview, so on YouTube I found some clips of Fleabag and it's probably an age thing, but on the strength of these clips it's not for me. Laughs for me come from good scripts and actors regardless of where the scene is set. Maybe I'm lazy, but if I watch an episode of The Vicar Of Dibley I laughing all the way without trying. All the best.

behminztur

• Wednesday 4th April 2018, 3:15pm
  • 69 posts
Quote: everhopeful @ 31st March 2018, 2:11 PM

It was suggested that I might try a comedy called Fleabag. I don't have Netflix or Sky, just terrestrial and Freeview, so on YouTube I found some clips of Fleabag and it's probably an age thing, but on the strength of these clips it's not for me. Laughs for me come from good scripts and actors regardless of where the scene is set. Maybe I'm lazy, but if I watch an episode of The Vicar Of Dibley I laughing all the way without trying. All the best.

Slow-burners can take a bit of getting used to, usually a lot more than a trailer. I recommend you watch a few episodes before making your mind up on it, that said it could just not be for you

everhopeful

• Wednesday 4th April 2018, 4:50pm [Edited]
  • United Kingdom
  • 9 posts

That's a fair point, I will watch a few full episodes. With slow burners, for me, I never know if they will ignite my interest and for how long I should watch them. All the best.

smc4761

• Tuesday 11th December 2018, 7:42pm
  • Scotland
  • 119 posts

Have to agree that most current comedies just leave me cold, IMHO comedy is there to make you laugh and the 4 programmes mentioned by OP all fall into that category. Maybe they are not supposed to be comedies like a sit com, as has been mentioned more like a dramedy.

Another shocking one is Bad Move, how that even go into production is beyond me

jsg

• Tuesday 11th December 2018, 10:06pm
  • United Kingdom
  • 204 posts

Comedy-drama as a term seems to be thrown around a lot just to mean any single-camera comedy the person writing doesn't like, now removed from whatever definition it originally had. When I was looking at old TV listings from around the turn of the millennium, Two Pints was described as one! As were repeats of Porridge and Only Fools and Horses

I can't disagree on Bad Move

Chappers

• Wednesday 12th December 2018, 9:12am
  • Surreyish., England
  • 30,022 posts

Bad Move was the best of the recent sitcoms. I guess that you just don't like Jack Dee.

smc4761

• Wednesday 12th December 2018, 4:31pm
  • Scotland
  • 119 posts

I dont mind Jack Dee as a stand up, but in this sit com, not just him, the whole programme is simply not funny, not even mildly amusing