Cookery Class

I use a lot of sauces and most of them say on the bottle to refrigerate when opened and use within 3 days but I just noticed on a bottle of Sharwood's Balti sauce it says to use immediately on opening.

So the burning question is why does it say to consume immediately on opening instead of refrigerate and use within 3 days that are on the bottles of most other sauces? What is the deal with that?

And don't get me started on cardboard.

See all this shit about refrigerating and using within x weeks! When I was a wean, few people had fridges (actually nobody at all that I knew). You just put the stuff in the cupboard and used as required. This is a bloody scam so you throw it out and buy more before you really need it.

And by the way, talking about cookery, I never watch brain-numbing cookery programmes but who is this numpty Prue Leith who was on Question Time and seemed to have the brain of a flea?

The BBC is going down the pan.

Quote: Bill Poster @ 12th March 2018, 1:28 AM

The BBC is going down the pan.

Truly...

Quote: Briosaid @ 11th March 2018, 8:43 PM

See all this shit about refrigerating and using within x weeks! When I was a wean, few people had fridges (actually nobody at all that I knew). You just put the stuff in the cupboard and used as required. This is a bloody scam so you throw it out and buy more before you really need it.

And by the way, talking about cookery, I never watch brain-numbing cookery programmes but who is this numpty Prue Leith who was on Question Time and seemed to have the brain of a flea?

I just checked it online at different supermarkets and they all say consume within 3 days so not sure why it says on the jar to use immediately. I thought there might be an ingredient in it that can cause something nasty if it's stored but you're probably right and I could store it for weeks until it has mould forming and it would still be ok to eat. Might not smell like your traditional Balti though :D

I never watch cookery shows apart from maybe a bit of Jamie Oliver at Christmas at Christmas. Some of the early cooking competition shows ones were ok like Series 1 of Hells Kitchen and that Amanda Barrie incident but they all became predictable and boring.

Nah. Keep it refrigerated and it should last weeks if not months*. And frozen food lasts forever. Ask Scott.

*Legal note. I'm not an expert!

They're just conning us into buying more and more and more. Deceitful swine.

I'm not so sure it's as much that than certain ingredients do go off quickly without natural preservatives like vinegar in them. Ketchup and mustard last for ages in a cupboard because of the vinegar I'm told. But a jar of pesto only lasts days in a fridge. I'm forever chucking the things out and I love pesto. Oil and vinegar doesn't blend, they separate like in a vinaigrette so I imagine that's why oily sauces go off quicker.