Hitchhiker's Guide is 40 years old Page 2

Sad to hear about Stephen Moore's death a couple of weeks ago. He was perfect as Marvin.
I've got the 5th series (or is it the 6th) radio series in my to listen to collection but I can't raise much enthusiasm to actually start it. I think more likely I'll listen to my original off air recording of series one and two. While the later series aren't bad in themselves it does feel like spinning it out.

I also never managed to finish the video game although now we have the interweb I can actually look up how to avoid the bulldozer.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 11th August 2018, 11:30 AM

Heresy for some, but even though I hated the film, I preferred Zooey Deschanel to Sandra Dickinson as Trillian. Yes I'm biassed because I used to have a crush on her, but I have a vague suspicion she may be closer to Adams' original imagination. Trillian was a complex individual and in the TV series she was more like a Barbarella figure. Zooey comes closer to doing her justice in my opinion. (No disrespect to Melanie C.)... It always annoyed me that they only had one major female part and went for the blonde-babe-in-sexy-outfit angle. I'm hardly a feminist myself, but with so few females in TV comedy, I felt they wasted an opportunity - especially given the depth of the original radio / book persona.

Very late follow up, but I just read that they changed some of the radio cast for TV because they were strong vocally but made less physical impact. Dickinson was indeed totally different from the original description, but she was the only auditionee to inject humour into the lines. So now you know.
What do you call an American who likes incest? Dickinson.