BC/BCE Page 4

Quote: Davida @ 6th March 2018, 8:55 PM

So when atheists 'force their secularism' on religious people that's not right. But when religious people 'force their non-secularism' on atheists or members of other faiths that's all well and good?

No it's not but that hasn't happened for decades now, each religion has pretty much stopped converting other faiths, they all tread on eggshells in a multifaith society which is what most western counties have become. But there are many non religious types who do not want the established uses customary to their culture to be pushed out by fussy liberals dreaming of an impossible utopia. It's largely ordinary citizens PC pushers are forcing unwanted change on.

Most are happy with the religious source of our words, customs and institutions. PC is an Orwellian scourge that just upsets the majority to please small minorities and causes populist backlashes like Brexit and Trump as President, it is actually a deeply unsuccessful, unpopular and divisive movement based on social control and rescinding freedoms which many have died to win. I believe in secularism too but not enforced secularism, that's called Authoritarianism and has never gone down too well in secular countries.

It seems that it's OK for Atheists to laugh about our God but would they take the piss out of Muslims' God - or is that not Politically Correct?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 6th March 2018, 11:54 PM

No it's not but that hasn't happened for decades now, each religion has pretty much stopped converting other faiths, they all tread on eggshells in a multifaith society which is what most western counties have become. But there are many non religious types who do not want the established uses customary to their culture to be pushed out by fussy liberals dreaming of an impossible utopia. It's largely ordinary citizens PC pushers are forcing unwanted change on.

Most are happy with the religious source of our words, customs and institutions. PC is an Orwellian scourge that just upsets the majority to please small minorities and causes populist backlashes like Brexit and Trump as President, it is actually a deeply unsuccessful, unpopular and divisive movement based on social control and rescinding freedoms which many have died to win. I believe in secularism too but not enforced secularism, that's called Authoritarianism and has never gone down too well in secular countries.

Religious groups have long since given up on trying to convert people? So mission trips aren't a thing? Jehovah's witnesses knocking on your door aren't a thing? Family members telling their doubting loved ones they'll rot in hell if they don't accept jesus christ as their lord and saviour never happen? (it's happened to me! When I was about 7, my grandpa gave me a hell and brimstone talk about how I need to start going to church. I was horrified. Hell sounded like a scary place, and I didn't have the mental capacity to realise that the existence of such a place is quite unlikely) What about religious teachers pushing to remove evolution lessons from biology classes and to teach of 'design' or whatever they call it. Religious groups are still pushing their stories, and they are just stories, stories in an old book. That's all they are.

Do you have statistical evidence that 'most people' want to keep the BC/AD system, and if so, what kinds of reasons they cited for wanting to keep it. I know you people love to cling to tradition for traditions sake, but if a tradition is ill-founded then I don't think it should be perpetuated into the future. Same situation with gun control. We have a tradition or our 2nd amendment right, which was created for reasons almost entirely non-applicable to today's society, yet we cling onto it because it's tradition and it allows us to keep our lovely wuwbbly guns.

Liberals are not demanding utopia, they're just, as you are, as people left right and central, are just trying to make society better for those who live within it. We have differing ideas on how to make such progress, but saying that liberals are dreaming of a utopia sounds an awful lot like nonsense to me.

Quote: Davida @ 7th March 2018, 2:18 AM

We have a tradition or our 2nd amendment right, which was created for reasons almost entirely non-applicable to today's society

The founders knew exactly what they were doing: they guaranteed Americans that they would always have the right to defend themselves, be it from outside aggressors or their own government. That right has been upheld by the courts numerous times. It's absolutely applicable to today's society when politicians who are protected 24/7 by armed bodyguards talk about disarming American citizens and removing their right to self-defense.

yet we cling onto it because it's tradition and it allows us to keep our lovely wuwbbly guns.

We cling to it because it's a basic right guaranteed by the Constitution.

And finally it got around to guns again.
You can let one pass dabutt....Nobody would think you'd gone soft.

you people

?

for wanting to keep it. I know you people love to cling to tradition for traditions sake,

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 7th March 2018, 9:01 AM

?

Exactly BB, I think someone's true colours are showing.

And not guns again PLEASE. You are NEVER go to resolve it, so let it lie.

Oh, and please drop the SUPPORTER now, I think we have got the point, whatever that was - we are still waiting since Aaron and Mark dropped their "sign".

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th March 2018, 9:41 AM

Oh, and please drop the SUPPORTER now, I think we have got the point, whatever that was - we are still waiting since Aaron and Mark dropped their "sign".

?

Re Jehovah's Witnesses. They regularly blitz our street. They arrive in a gang and go in pairs down both sides of the street. If I see them coming, I'm always tempted to open the door, carrying a big knife in my hand, then tell them I'm a Satanist but I usually just don't open the door.

Religious groups have long since given up on trying to convert people? So mission trips aren't a thing? Jehovah's witnesses knocking on your door aren't a thing? Family members telling their doubting loved ones they'll rot in hell if they don't accept jesus christ as their lord and saviour never happen? (it's happened to me! When I was about 7

Sorry Davida but I did clearly say 'other faiths'. They're not 'converting' a faithless person but simply trying to sign them up to their faith/a faith which each religion tends to believe is the ONLY true faith. Jehovah's witnesses aren't Christians and I'm only referring to Christianity as that's where BC/AD comes from.

As for the family member thing that sounds a bad experience but I'm guessing that modern Britain and USA are quite different in that respect, as (sadly) we don't have a Bible Belt with angry pastors burning the Koran and cult leaders abducting a hundred followers, we have very staid upper middle class villages where going to church on Sunday is really a type of Free Mason's meeting for respectable ladies and their lap dogs. It's much more tied up with respectability and social status here than it is true faith, not for all, as I know some genuinely true believers but for many others it has added purposes.

Quote: Aaron @ 7th March 2018, 11:33 AM

?

Well you and Mark had the same for awhile and I (we?) was/(were) waiting for the big reveal but nothing happened, or did I dream all that.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 7th March 2018, 12:08 PM

Sorry Davida but I did clearly say 'other faiths'. They're not 'converting' a faithless person but simply trying to sign them up to their faith/a faith which each religion tends to believe is the ONLY true faith. Jehovah's witnesses aren't Christians and I'm only referring to Christianity as that's where BC/AD comes from.

As for the family member thing that sounds a bad experience but I'm guessing that modern Britain and USA are quite different in that respect, as (sadly) we don't have a Bible Belt with angry pastors burning the Koran and cult leaders abducting a hundred followers, we have very staid upper middle class villages where going to church on Sunday is really a type of Free Mason's meeting for respectable ladies and their lap dogs. It's much more tied up with respectability and social status here than it is true faith, not for all, as I know some genuinely true believers but for many others it has added purposes.

Read this, Alfred https://www.jw.org/en/ Note where it says 'we are proud to be called Christians'.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th March 2018, 12:23 PM

Well you and Mark had the same for awhile and I (we?) was/(were) waiting for the big reveal but nothing happened, or did I dream all that.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/donate/

They want money too? Firstly what about the adverts? Secondly is this to keep Aaron and Mark in the lifestyle they've got used to?

Quote: Briosaid @ 7th March 2018, 12:28 PM

Read this, Alfred https://www.jw.org/en/ Note where it says 'we are proud to be called Christians'.

Briosaid they are not considered Christians by any of the Unified Churches, Catholics call them dangerous heretics and others say they are a nonconformist sect hanging on the coat tails of Christianity in order get your attention, sort of religious con artists.

They deny all sorts of fundamental Christian staples like the Trinity and afaik deny Jesus was God incarnate. I was actually going to put a word before Christian to be polite but I still can't remember the term, let's put not 'recognised' Christians for the sake of argument.