Saxondale Page 3

I thought it was an improvement on the first series - it was more obvious what Tommy Saxondale was about. Seems I'm in the minority though?

No, I agree Mark. It was much more focussed than any of the first series' episodes, and had better production values, make-up and was shot on HD.

Tommy Saxondale is brilliantly realised by Coogan, and although of course they're not comparable performers - I did think of Gervais a couple of times, and how he doesn't have a similar level of ability as an actor. It was also great to see Matt Berry, who is streets ahead of most of the TV comedy regulars.

The problem is that the world that Saxondale inhabits is not that interesting. And maybe I'm weird but I find the pest control stuff more engaging than the 'roadie remembers' theme. It's still a very impressive show, but I think this series is going to be admired more than adored - much like the last one.

And i keep wishing it was Partridge! :(

Agreed re pest control/roadie remembers.

I just watched this and really really enjoyed it but have no idea why. No laugh out loud jokes or stand out moments, well apart from the Bee Gee being raped by the Mujhajadin (I know I spelt it wrong but f**k em). Now i'm really looking forward to the series. Strangely I watched this last out of Saxondale, the IT Crowd and Mock The Week, as I thought it would be rubbish but actually it beat the others by a long way.

Surpris hit of the summer :)

Just as good as last season for me. Love the scene with the new neighbor, hopefully he'll be in a few more episodes.

As with the first series, I felt a palpable sense of disappointment. There were some cracking bits, especially the Richard Branson line, but at other times it felt laboured. The problem for me is that it's a First Person sitcom, with Saxondale in every single scene. It would have worked far better if Coogan and Co had developed Mags and Raymond, perhaps given them their own mini storylines, so that he wasn't the sole focus of the show.

I agree with you jason. Although Coogan has clearly worked hard on the show and has brilliantly realised the character, the first show was disappointing. It would help if he wasn't in every scene as you suggest, but the problem is really the theme of the programme. It's a story about a man who used to roadie for Iggy but now shoots pigeons with an air-rifle. Unfortunately, even if you like the Stooges and the other bands that he roadied for, they're still pretty ridiculous, so it doesn't seem like much of a come down. And with his long hair and cock-car Saxondale isn't a tragic figure, he's just a bit of a wanker.

Also, Simon Greenall was wasted the other night. How many people who didn't know the name would have connected him to the geordie in Partridge?

Agreed, Saxondale's just not that interesting a character. I would just add I do really like the anger management sessions that start each episode. though.

Yeah! They're the best thing. The clip they used to trail the show originally massively built up my expectations: "I love the way Eno can make a picture with sound... but I f**king hate my ex wife..."

On University Challenge last night they played a bit of 'Whole lot of Love' and asked for the name of the lead guitarist.

After a long pause, somone said Jeff Plant. When Paxo offered it to the other side they said Robert Plant!

Saxondale would have topped himself.

Quote: ShoePie @ August 25, 2007, 4:07 PM

Love the scene with the new neighbor, hopefully he'll be in a few more episodes.

Yes that was a good bit wasn't it ShoePie!

The good news is Jonathan (the new neighbour character) appears to be a new recurring minor character. Darren Boyd (who plays Jonathan, previously seen in Smack the Pony and Green Wing in case you were wondering) is definitely in the next episode at least.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ August 28, 2007, 2:45 PM

Also, Simon Greenall was wasted the other night. How many people who didn't know the name would have connected him to the geordie in Partridge?

People who recognised his face?

Quote: Godot Taxis @ August 28, 2007, 2:45 PM

Aha! (No pun intended.) That's where I know him from! Couldn't place the face at all. :)

I enjoyed it, Coogans great in the lead role. 'Ill microwave it later!!'
The bits with Morweena Banks character are always good.

was it me or was Dunc the Skunk a dead ringer for Lord Flasheart?