Hold The Sunset - Series 1 Page 5

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 13th May 2018, 11:04 PM

Yes, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I think it's a shame that quality writing isn't found often enough and that despite the poor scripts for these shows they still keep getting made. I agree that viewing figures are the main thing but it's just infuriating!

From my experience, it's the only thing!

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 13th May 2018, 11:04 PM

poor scripts for these shows

In your opinion.

It's a rum do. Perhaps it's just hard to watch/enjoy Cleese as an old codger in such a mainstream sitcom. But I have much preferred watching The Ropers (the much-maligned American version of George & Mildred) to Hold the Sunset.

Wow. I sat throught five episodes and hated every bit of it. I can't stand John Cleese, but I'm very fond of the rest of the cast, even Peter Egan. I thought it was horribly unfunny and a waste of time. Jason Watkins, who in comedy is usually so likable, had such a repulsively idiotic part that I'm surprised he signed on for another series. But it can run without me watching it.

The Christmas "special" was sadly nothing of the sort and this continued in the same vein as the first series dud. Only memorable thing was the astonishing size of poor old john cleeses guts hanging over his trousers: he's now one hell of a fat bastard!

I thought it was pleasant enough

Quote: jsg @ 23rd December 2018, 8:09 PM

I thought it was pleasant enough

It's Christmas and therefore the season of goodwill to all scriptwriters.

Accordingly, I shall go along with the above comment.

I've a vague idea it's trying to be a One Foot In The Grave with its attempted quirkiness. It looks more like a modern post-Office casual comdram mash up of Sorry and Life's Too Short. How the hell did this get a second series, wouldn't be anything to do with the Beeb's servility to big stars would it? Better sitcoms than this have been scrapped after one series, like Life's Too Short.

The premise itself just isn't appealing. With funny or sharp scripts it would help but if that's the best they can get for a Christmas special there is little hope of quality sitcoms at the present time.

Quote: Aaron @ 14th May 2018, 1:56 PM

In your opinion.

And mine.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 23rd December 2018, 10:27 PM

How the hell did this get a second series, wouldn't be anything to do with the Beeb's servility to big stars would it?

The ratings probably had something to do with it.

And who can explain them?! This surpasses anything I've seen for getting hammered critically while having viewing figures you'd kill for. Can only think it's the pulling power of comedy legend John Cleese, absolutely nothing else makes sense. :S I just wish they'd asked him to write it as well.

There's a genre of music known as "easy listening" that' s popular with a great many people.

Similarly, there's a genre of sitcom that might reasonably be described as "easy watching and listening". I think it's fair to say that "Hold the Sunset" falls into that category. Like its musical counterpart, it's inoffensive and gives pleasure to many.

If it were a solo entertainer, it would probably be Val Doonican.

There's a huge audience for safe, undemanding comedy.

Yes I imagine that must be it, he says slightly sadly. It does explain the longevity of most of Roy Clarke's sitcoms, My Family and many others in the past that have been labelled middling or gentle by many. I do actually see the need for a light entertainment background show or the old domcom we used to have loads of but the fact they out rate the inspired or challenging ones is bad news for inspired writers. Most scribblers dream of creating the next OFAH or Fawlty Towers, Porridge etc. and spend all their efforts on that, not the next Last of the Summer Wine. It seems now maybe they should be. Eh?:S

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 30th December 2018, 10:07 AM

And who can explain them?! This surpasses anything I've seen for getting hammered critically while having viewing figures you'd kill for.

Pretty sure Mrs. Brown's Boys does even better in that camp, but you're not wrong in meaning.

Oh yes MBB gets extreme press but I can't criticise something I laugh out loud to then cringe a bit at the next thing. It's low rent but properly goes for the comedy, it's not a hybrid sitcom-comdram with too subtle comedy cues. It's pure class snobbery that MBB gets a slating when half the country watches it and loves it. O'Carroll has crafted a basely funny show with years of work and gets put down, Benny Hill suffered the same.

HTS is being criticised for not trying hard enough to be funny from what I can gather but I will watch more of HTS to give it a fair chance. We're all too critical of things many people like.