Still Open All Hours - Series 4 Page 2

I must say I loved Open All Hours with a passion. But this reminds me of the latter stuff from Laurel & Hardy when they were JUST TOO OLD. I personally think it is time to retire off a certain actor in Still Open All Hours to freshen it up a bit. There is just no way Granville would have aged that way to my mind. If people like it though, all well and good. Audience knows best! :)

Oh, wait a minute the audience thinks it's shit too.. ah, erm, well.. it's got David Jason in it, so he's a 'banker', so an easy choice for a Producer (who is clearly well worth his salt) ... to make ... nothing like 'merit' being the parameter of choice..

Quote: Frankie Mildly Perturbed @ 10th February 2018, 7:25 PM

Oh, wait a minute the audience thinks it's shit too.. ah, erm, well.. it's got David Jason in it, so he's a 'banker', so an easy choice for a Producer (who is clearly well worth his salt) ... to make ... nothing like 'merit' being the parameter of choice..

No, they don't. It gets the highest ratings of anything currently on television. Around 500% the overnight figures of, say, Inside No. 9.

Quote: Frankie Mildly Perturbed @ 10th February 2018, 7:25 PM

I must say I loved Open All Hours with a passion. But this reminds me of the latter stuff from Laurel & Hardy when they were JUST TOO OLD. I personally think it is time to retire off a certain actor in Still Open All Hours to freshen it up a bit. There is just no way Granville would have aged that way to my mind. If people like it though, all well and good. Audience knows best! :)

I don't understand how Arkwright let Granville go to Blackpool! As I presume Arkwright died in 2005, like Ronnie Barker did. I presume Leroy was born in the 1990s and Arkwright was still running the shop.

Quote: Aaron @ 10th February 2018, 8:04 PM

No, they don't. It gets the highest ratings of anything currently on television. Around 500% the overnight figures of, say, Inside No. 9.

Yes, I was using a bit of artistic licence there.

Audience knows best, as they say.

Mind you, audience can only see what the Producers produce.

Which is probably why the ratings are so high, the stuff lower down the ratings must be some real big ass sucking dross then.. Whistling nnocently

Sorry, Aaron didn't realise it was you.. *STRAIGHTENS TIE* *SHINES SHOES ON BACK OF TROUSERS*

Hope you are keeping well these days. Site is looking good, come on a long way since it's inception, a long, long way.

Credit to Mark and yourself.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th January 2018, 12:18 AM

Good God. WHY?

My thoughts exactly - it's utter crap! All it does is boost the pension pot of an alleged "national treasure".

I totally agree. It's all cheesy and cringe-worthy and how they have got four series out of it is beyond belief.
Ronnie Barker was the key to the proper Open All Hours, but Still Open All Hours is just another version of Last Of The Summer Wine, set around a corner shop. It's even got the same sayings like "ye gods" and repeated - double sentences as Last Of The Summer Wine had, because it's written by Roy Clarke.

*sigh* Somewhat inevitably, Series 5 has been comissioned. https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/3078/still_open_all_hours_series5/

I stated in this thread that I will not be watching any more. I can't imagine why when the synopsis of episode 1 encompasses the thrilling plotline of 'Granville tries to offload some spectacles'. I don't like to be overly cynical about such a popular comedy but it frustrates me how formulaic and unfunny it is.

I'm delighted by the news. One of the few genuinely enjoyable sitcoms on television. Looking forward to it.

Can't believe they've ordered more. I love the original Open All Hours and I love David Jason but I just cannot take to this Still Open All Hours at all, it's just pure tripe!

So here's an opinion from left field, from someone who doesn't know much about sitcoms on any side of the Atlantic. But who does watch SOAH when it turns up here: I think the critics on this site are mistaking what it's for. It, and some of the other re-treads, are a pleasant visit with old friends you can count on to be daft in exactly the same way they are always daft. It's comfort food in a terrifying world full of changes, many unwelcome. So shoot me. I like the inventive and new -- as long as it's not mean-spirited -- but this is welcome, too. Ask yourself how often you re-watch old favourite series. Isn't this kind of the same thing?

Quote: Rose2010 @ 4th June 2018, 6:45 PM

So here's an opinion from left field, from someone who doesn't know much about sitcoms on any side of the Atlantic. But who does watch SOAH when it turns up here: I think the critics on this site are mistaking what it's for. It, and some of the other re-treads, are a pleasant visit with old friends you can count on to be daft in exactly the same way they are always daft. It's comfort food in a terrifying world full of changes, many unwelcome. So shoot me. I like the inventive and new -- as long as it's not mean-spirited -- but this is welcome, too. Ask yourself how often you re-watch old favourite series. Isn't this kind of the same thing?

I understand - but I don't think you'll get shot as you live north of the border.

Quote: Chappers @ 4th June 2018, 9:10 PM

I understand - but I don't think you'll get shot as you live north of the border.

Indeed! I will just be politely shunned by people who think differently.

This lacks the comedic polish of Open All Ours. Perhaps I am biased as Ronnie Barker is beyond comparison.

Quote: G180e @ 3rd May 2018, 8:39 PM

Can't believe they've ordered more. I love the original Open All Hours and I love David Jason but I just cannot take to this Still Open All Hours at all, it's just pure tripe!

Agree. David Jason is not Ronnie Barker. Wonder the producers did nor reintroduce the Arwkright stutter. In a word SOAH was disappointing.

Quote: Aaron @ 2nd May 2018, 2:27 PM

I'm delighted by the news. One of the few genuinely enjoyable sitcoms on television. Looking forward to it.

You're either shitting me or deluded?

Quote: Rose2010 @ 4th June 2018, 6:45 PM

In that case just watch the bloody repeats of the far superior original on the Freeview channel Yesterday!