Still Open All Hours - Series 4

I'm still surprised this has got to a fourth series. A very poor sequel series compared to the original series with the great Ronnie Barker.

This fourth series has been the weakest yet, IMO. I mean, the previous three weren't great either to be honest.

Another odd thing I spotted on this series is the fact it wasn't recorded in front of an audience, it was screened. What was the reasoning behind that?

I hope this will be the final series, can't really see how it can go on any further.

I believe it was still recorded with a studio audience, as before and in future.

It has been recommissioned for another series, will begin in late this year. It will perhaps be recommissioned for another series beyond that.

Good God. WHY?

The hairdresser who owns the actual shop will be thrilled.

Another bung.

I can just imagine all those old dears that live around there - "Me rinse is fading! F**king BBC!!"

As to the why in terms of the series returning at the end of this year, presumably ratings are one reason- 4 million for each episode of this current series. These days of course that's a real achievement, although of course those figures would have been very concerning for commissioners and channel controllers many years ago.

Ronnie Barker's towering comic presence apart, the original series was very average. The current series is woefully bad when one considers the acting talent assembled. Roy Clarke can create comic situations but lacks the ability to create comic dialogue. If this had been scripted by Peter Kay or Craig Cash things could have been much better.

I've tried with this, I've really tried. I've watched up until this series, I I had to have a good hard look at myself after last week's as I thought - why? Force of habit? Nostalgia? The lines, though eloquently written as only Roy Clarke can and well delivered, aren't funny in the slightest, and it is exactly, no exaggeration, EXACTLY the same every single week, no hint of character evolution. I realise sitcom doesn't have much of that as a rule, but after this length of time you'd expect it. It also commits the cardinal sin of a sitcom, aside from being unfunny - it's just dull. Get to the end of an episode and wonder 'What did I just watch and why did I watch it?'. The only reason it;s still going is because of viewing figures, so I'm contributing in my small way and will not watch any more.

That's the thing with Roy Clarke. He doesn't change anything. He likes to stick to the same formula every single week. Like in KUA, Elizabeth always spilling her tea in Hyacinth's house, that happened every episode. Also in LOTSW, the coffee group the same each week. It happens here too, I wonder what Ronnie Barker must be thinking in his grave. Time for Roy Clarke to retire from writing. He probably has enough money to retire at his age and can treat his family well with it. I don't honestly know why OAH started again? I presume, David Jason wanted it as he couldn't get OFAH back on the screens to John Sullivan passing away. The show will keep going until someone dies, whether that's David Jason or Roy Clarke.

It's the highest rating comedy for miles around. Blows acclaimed titles like Back or Inside No. 9 out of the water.

It'd probably get less if there were more comedies of the type around for it to be compared with, mind.

Quote: G180e @ 27th January 2018, 3:39 PM

Another odd thing I spotted on this series is the fact it wasn't recorded in front of an audience, it was screened. What was the reasoning behind that?

This is correct. Not yet sure why. Seems a shame though.

Quote: Wheel @ 28th January 2018, 5:04 PM

I don't honestly know why OAH started again? I presume, David Jason wanted it as he couldn't get OFAH back on the screens to John Sullivan passing away.

Laughing out loud Yeah he thought sod it, that's close enough to OFAH, it's only missing the F, I'm doing it.

I sat through tonight's episode just check out the laughter count. I was 2 seconds ahead in predicting each "joke". Dire. As of now I"ll be watching the Kardashians to regain my lost self-respect.

Granville and the lads have become the updated Foggy & Co and all the women sitting around drinking tea is just Edie and her coven revisted.
It's Last Of The Summer Wine all over again, only without the laughs.

Last episode I thought was crackers.
I do think the show can be better if they focused a bit more on the other characters.
Johnny Vegas has become quite adept at the subtle gestures that mark a decent actor; the scenes between him, Newbold and Cyril were really quite good this last episode of the series.
If they manage to open up and develop Healy's character just a crack they could really have something. As is he's criminally wasted.
All in all it's like slipping into a comfy pair of old slippers and that ain't half bad.