Newsjack Series 18 Page 33

Well done all you guys who got something on this series (or even a 'close-but-no-cigar'). I've now completed three completely blank series which is annoying after getting a total of 7 or 8 one-liners in the previous half dozen series. Don't know if it's becoming harder to get on or me getting less funny. but I have got to the not surprised stage when the inbox is empty at 6.00 on a Thursday.

I was close with a one liner. Would share, but it's one which could be reused in the future. Sorry to withhold!

I also had a very nice message back:

"I feel like you've been very close a lot this series - you've probably made the pre-script a few more times that you know about as yours is a name that's popped up a lot - so please keep submitting!"

Hopefully this gives some optimism to others who I'm sure were in the same boat. Keep submitting, you will be noticed...even if it doesn't turn into credits right away.

I'm three series in and still no credits. I've had four near misses and determine to progress next time around.

See you all in the Autumn for more laughs (and tears)!

Unlucky Thosisd but that's encouraging to hear.

Shame they didn't give you a credit after so many near misses!

@Thosisd: That's really encouraging. They certainly didn't have to say that so genuinely want you to keep submitting.

Quote: Thosisd @ 16th March 2018, 3:38 PM

I was close with a one liner. Would share, but it's one which could be reused in the future. Sorry to withhold!

I also had a very nice message back:

"I feel like you've been very close a lot this series - you've probably made the pre-script a few more times that you know about as yours is a name that's popped up a lot - so please keep submitting!"

Hopefully this gives some optimism to others who I'm sure were in the same boat. Keep submitting, you will be noticed...even if it doesn't turn into credits right away.

I'm three series in and still no credits. I've had four near misses and determine to progress next time around.

See you all in the Autumn for more laughs (and tears)!

That's really encouraging Thosisd! Have you also tried Newsrevue? They take sketches (for live performance) and oneliners (which are called VOs on Newsrevue). Well worth going on their mailing list, they perform nearly all year in London and also take a show to Edinburgh. Also, some sketches and VOs get used for several weeks as they don't change all of the material each week. Good luck and roll on September! :)

I haven't tried them, will take a look though. Thanks!

Definitely an encouraging email. I really believe the same will apply to others here. Hope to see you all back next time.

As the next series is a long way off, has anyone experience with Release the Clowns, who are inviting sketches?

Quote: BTF @ 16th March 2018, 12:40 PM

Tommy thanks for posting. I feel it could be honed down a little.
I think you captured Trump's voice.
I feel that wall and hair jokes have been done a lot so personally I think a wall or hair joke now has to be a bit different if in a sketch.
I like the Russians but thought it would be good to do more with them and it varies the two person ping pong.
There was some good stuff in there.
This series Trump has not appeared much at all. In previous series he featured a lot more.
But bear in mind I have never made it even into the script and this is my 4th or 5th series so what do I know!

The one liner I liked best was the zoo one but I think it would be funnier if honed a bit/tightened slightly.

Thanks BTF!

Yeah agreed, honing a lot of it down is the key. I think my editing and cutting skills will come with experience...the sketches I enjoyed writing most I made myself stop after 2- 2 1/2 pages.

But then there's leaving yourself enough time to edit before the deadline ... the joys of topical comedy! Or any writing in fact...less is more.

I may try to steer more away from general Trump / Teresa May sketches in next series as a) loads of people will do them and b) I guess it depends if the cast members that week can do an impression of them?

If the sketch was decent though they would make it work!

Feedback much appreciated and keep it up yourself!

Quote: Watch Maker @ 17th March 2018, 12:23 AM

As the next series is a long way off, has anyone experience with Release the Clowns, who are inviting sketches?

No experience of anything but the online spoof Rochale Herald who kindly published an article of mine on Theresa May.

Just listened to Release The Clowns. It's funny.
I have never tried anything but NJ and the Rochdale Herald but others here mention Newsrevue, News Quiz, Now Show.
BBC is open for scripts at the moment.

Hey! Just wondered if anyone who had gags used in the most recent series had been paid yet?

I got an email in early April saying the payments were still being processed but nothing since.

That's weird just remembered this morning. I sent them an email to chase up.

We had our letters saying that payment was being made.

Ooh interesting. We'll I'll chase up if I don't hear anything soon then. Cheers.

Hi all dormant NJ writers...
Hope you are well.

Does anyone know when the next series of Newsjack starts? September?

I reckon that I have sent stuff in to at least four series unsuccessfully. No more self-deprecating stuff. Am going for it next time.

Is this Angela Barnes' final one? I read a rumour which was probably incorrect.

Anyone had any success writing since series 18?

Enough of these questions! Wave

I'm planning really go for it next time, too. I've got Sundays off now, so I now have no excuse not to set aside some time to try and come up with a sketch or two.

Hadn't heard about Angela leaving, but I think it's good to give someone else a chance.

Unless I think of something absolutely genius I'm self-imposing a no-Trump-no-Brexit rule.