Newsjack Series 18 Page 11

Congrats #DippyDino

Well done to all who got the e-mails. Big zero for me

Well done to all who got on or who got close.
I have posted on rejects.

Yes! An"almost" email! First ever response for me. A one-liner but dunno which one.

Quote: Goalo @ 15th February 2018, 10:14 PM

Yes! An"almost" email! First ever response for me. A one-liner but dunno which one.

excellent

Bloody hell, that was abysmal. Lots of weak one-liners and the sketches were dire, especially the "Lent" one. This week they seemed to think that if they shouted a lot that made something funny. And the "emotional support animal" sketch was utter garbage - the one on the same subject that has been posted on the "rejects" thread is undeniably hugely funnier. go and read it, it's great!

Quote: Mike X @ 15th February 2018, 11:04 PM

Bloody hell, that was abysmal. Lots of weak one-liners and the sketches were dire, especially the "Lent" one. This week they seemed to think that if they shouted a lot that made something funny. And the "emotional support animal" sketch was utter garbage - the one on the same subject that has been posted on the "rejects" thread is undeniably hugely funnier. go and read it, it's great!

The one on here was great. I did one emotional support one not as good which I just put up there.
But I loved the first one posted and loved the punchline.
I maybe would hazard a guess that the Lent one was a writers' room one because it was an interview with Angela and I guess that is much more likely to be a writers' room type one. Some punchlines on sketches on the show could be stronger. A strong punchline is tricky.

I enjoyed the hamster one but agree the one posted first here in rejects is excellent.

BTW did anyone get a sketch on the show this week?

Quote: Thosisd @ 14th February 2018, 8:16 PM

Hey everyone, instead of sitting around anxiously wondering if you're material is being performed, take a look at this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/comedywriting/comments/4uoicb/writing_comedy_is_hard_but_why_its_worth_learning/?st=JDNIN6KR&sh=32dbea7e

Just found on Reddit and it's a nice read. Hope it helps.

thanks
good read

I agree with MikeX. That was an especially weak episode. I mean no offense to anyone if you got stuff on (we'll done if you did) and I'm sure jealousy plays a small role, but I literally didn't laugh throughout the whole episode.

The only time I cracked a smirk was the phrase "1500 of the free range bastards!" and that's probably only because it had a naughty word in it.

Which word was that then <anxious to know> :O

Just listened to most of ep on way into work. Think a big issue was the terrible audience. They barely make a sound. It really throws things off.

Yes the show did not appeal to the audience's humour that is for sure!

I put a question on twitter. They said 725 one liners received..they clarified that is 725 sets. Whilst a number put only 1 or 2, I bet many put 4 or 6. I would guess they get over 2000. So that is why so many good ones don't make it on, with those odds, with a number of different people choosing also added to the mix.

Apparently the Beeb didn't switch the heating on again...something about cutbacks.

There's kind of a rule that the audience need to above Baltic temperature to find jokes funny.

I've started listening to this week's episode and I did find it an odd one. I think the trouble for open submitters to Newsjack is that they try to write to a style (the Newsjack style), but an episode's style changes depending on who the script editors are, therefore what they'll go for changes from one week to the next.

The sketch I posted in the critique (Olympic Diplomats) clearly retrospectively had no chance of making this week's episode but I can't help feeling had the story come up another week (with a different script editor) it might have been considered.

What's tough is we only hear if we're in the show or made the recording, not if they liked our sketches but they didn't make it to that stage, so we're left not knowing if our submissions were actually any good or not.