Can dreams tell us about the future?

I was just re-reading a thread I created on another site and it reads like this=

''I had an awful dream in which I was on a ship
and every room there was like a glass box. People men and women where all tied up and breathing through a tube because the room was full of water. Some were fighting so hard to free themselves that they ended up breaking the tube and were struggling to breath
Does anyone here have any idea of what this could mean?''

I titled this as 'Dream Interpretation' hoping someone could tell me what it meant.

Looking at it now and considering the news about the missing submarine I wonder could this have been a warning of some kind?

It was dated October 3rd, 2017.

Huh?

No

Quote: Will Cam @ 16th December 2017, 9:17 AM

No

Laughing out loud

Quote: Will Cam @ 16th December 2017, 9:17 AM

No

There has been lot written about dream psychology, its an interesting area. Freud and others have written sections on it, but there is very little consensus in modern psychology. So far we agrea it forms an essential part in keeping good mental health, its seems in some way of organising the thoughts of the day. Our brains work like neural networks , so sleep seems to balance these networks based on what we think we should be remembering the most. But its done in an abstract way because if I am remembering a dog I saw, that may link to animal and I may dream about an elephant. Also most people do not remember all or any of what they dream, so what you remember on waking will not be the complete picture. Hence why dreams appear in congruent.

So in your example, I would imagine you may have seen or experienced something that relates to water. Not directly, it may have been a beautiful painting, with a lake in the background, or the news about the submarine. If the submarine news came later, it will be coincidence.

Because we know little about subject, quacks use the space to paint all sorts of fantasy theories. I would guess you are more likely to predict the future whilst awake than whilst asleep. At one time people believed rust was a fungus, and assertive women were drowned as witches. So knowing that, what do you think it maybe Kapow ?

The news of the sub came later.
On the contrary I would imagine that the best time to have this sort of information shot into my brain would be at bedtime, because you are more relaxed, that means your mind is more open to receive things. It's like in that book by Huxley where the children are sleeping while they are being programmed through a tape recording being played again and again and again. Your mind won't question or try to fight the information being placed there.
But yeah, it was probably a stretch to think it was some divine warning.

Nightmares are best avoided by not eating cheese within two hours of sleeping.

This is a well known fact.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 16th December 2017, 2:16 PM

Nightmares are best avoided by not eating cheese within two hours of sleeping.

This is a well known fact.

That's the same thing a guy on CS told me!!!
That's it!!! No more pizza for me!!!
:D

You can have vivid dreams during the REM phase of sleep and I've noticed they can be more detailed and feel real the more tired I am. 20 years ago when I used to do a very physical job and would be dog tired when I went to sleep I could have some very interesting dreams that I could remember after waking but the contents is usually linked to something I have seen or done that day. If I watch The Simpsons before retiring I often dream about something to do with that. It's why I try to avoid scary and horror on TV because I'm more likely to have nightmares when I watch stuff like that.