Aww, shoot. Let's bang on about guns. Try to stay on target. Page 9

Quote: DaButt @ 1st March 2018, 12:49 PM

I tried all sorts of searches, but couldn't come up with anything. There were several stories about people who were shot after knocking on a door, but they all seem to have involved late-night hours, belligerent behavior, alcohol, breaking glass/doors, etc.

There are loads of examples, what about the Japanese exchange student , aged 16, gunned down when he thought he was going to a Halloween party.

"The Japanese public were shocked not only by the killing, but by Peairs' acquittal. Shortly after the Hattori case, a Japanese exchange student, Takuma Ito, and a Japanese-American student, Go Matsura, were killed in a carjacking in San Pedro, California, and another Japanese exchange student, Masakazu Kuriyama, was shot in Concord, California." References below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Yoshihiro_Hattori

Japan has one of the lowest rates of gun crime in the world. In 2014 there were just six gun deaths, compared to 33,599 in the US. What is the secret? Details here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38365729

Not that I'm an expert, but nothing wrong with guns, it's the bullets that are the problem.

Quote: Firkin @ 1st March 2018, 1:48 PM

There are loads of examples, what about the Japanese exchange student , aged 16, gunned down when he thought he was going to a Halloween party.

I was searching for a British tourist story, not a Japanese tourist.

Like pretty much every other incident, there were circumstances where the homeowner thought their lives were in danger. Strangers knocked on the door, one of them rushed at the armed homeowner and refused to stop when ordered to.

From the New York Times:

Mrs. Peairs went to the door of the carport to see who was there. She opened the door and saw Webb Haymaker, the 16-year-old with whose family Mr. Hattori was staying, standing a few yards away.

Mr. Haymaker testified that he said, "We're looking for the party."

Just then, Mrs. Peairs spotted Mr. Hattori coming around a corner. "He was coming real fast towards me," she testified. "I had never had somebody come at me like that before. I was terrified."

The young man spoke little English. Partly out of frustration, partly out of a desire to communicate instantly, testimony indicated, he often rushed up to people, waving his arms, which is what he did that night.

When Mrs. Peairs called her husband to get his gun, Mr. Peairs said he did not ask any questions. Rushing to a back room, he retrieved his revolver.

Running to the carport door, he spotted someone coming from behind one of his parked cars "real fast," he testified. He said he pointed the gun and yelled "freeze" to the two teen-agers, but he said Mr. Hattori kept coming. Mr. Peairs testified that he saw Mr. Hattori holding something in one of his outstretched arms -- a camera, it was later learned.

Mr. Hattori may not have noticed the gun because he had lost a contact lens earlier, his father said.

"I wanted him to stop," Mr. Peairs testified. "He didn't. He kept coming. The next thing I remember, I was scared to death. This person was not going to stop. This person was going to do harm to me." With the young man less than five feet away, he fired one shot into his chest.

"I felt I had no choice," Mr. Peairs said. "I couldn't understand why this person wouldn't stop."

Quote: billwill @ 1st March 2018, 7:58 PM

:)

I wonder how Counting Cars is made because the team on that show will often knock on peoples doors if they see a nice car or bike on the drive to see if they can buy it. They must contact them first by letter or something even though they act like them and the homeowners have never met.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 1st March 2018, 8:15 PM

I wonder how Counting Cars is made because the team on that show will often knock on peoples doors if they see a nice car or bike on the drive to see if they can buy it. They must contact them first by letter or something even though they act like them and the homeowners have never met.

Reality TV is anything but real, but I swear to you that you can knock on pretty much any door in the country without getting shot. Girl Scouts sell millions of boxes of cookies that way. Things might get a little sportier if you try to open a stranger's door, pound furiously at 3 A.M., climb a fence (trespass) to knock on a back door, etc.

A Florida woman known for a strong pro-gun stance was shot, accidentally, by her 4-year-old son, authorities said. https://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/09/us/gun-activist-shot-florida/index.html

Parents should be armed at all times to protect themselves from kids playing with guns. The more guns we have, the safer we are. Anyone proposing gun control is a moron. Unlike me. I'm smart.

Quote: Kenneth @ 16th March 2018, 8:19 AM

Anyone proposing gun control is a moron. Unlike me. I'm smart.

Hopefully you were smart enough to notice this key paragraph from your article:

Florida law makes it a misdemeanor for a person to store or leave a loaded firearm in such a way that a child could gain access to it.

The woman was already breaking the law, so is your solution to make an additional law? Surely that one will work. :S

Bang to rights, DaButt

Shot him down in flames!

How ya doin', got them beers ready for us for when I get over there, I've got to come if only to meet you!

:)

Quote: DaButt @ 16th March 2018, 11:56 AM

The woman was already breaking the law, so is your solution to make an additional law? Surely that one will work. :S

My solution is mandatory gun ownership. Let's be honest, they're fun. And I can use statistics to prove that anyone who disagrees with me is a retard. By the way, did I mention I'm smart?

Quote: Frankie Mildly Perturbed @ 16th March 2018, 1:59 PM

How ya doin', got them beers ready for us for when I get over there, I've got to come if only to meet you!

I just put 10 gallons of homebrewed American IPA in kegs, so I'm never short of beer. C'mon over!

:P I'll be there .. but looking like December at the mo ..
Frankie

P.S. the avatar is a 1975 selfie so I look ever so slightly older now!

Older and more handsome, of course! Not one to brag.. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Kenneth @ 16th March 2018, 2:39 PM

My solution is mandatory gun ownership. Let's be honest, they're fun. And I can use statistics to prove that anyone who disagrees with me is a retard. By the way, did I mention I'm smart?

They are fun, that's for sure.

Writing new legislation to "fix" existing legislation that doesn't work is a fool's errand. More layers of legislation are not the answer. We can make murder doubly punishable by death (kill, resuscitate, kill again) but that doesn't mean that it'll solve our problem. I believe the saying is "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Quote: Frankie Mildly Perturbed @ 16th March 2018, 3:44 PM

:P I'll be there .. but looking like December at the mo ..

It might be snowing (unlikely) or it might be shorts weather in south Texas, but either is perfect for drinking beer. (And for going to the shooting range, if you want to put some holes in paper.)

Quote: Frankie Mildly Perturbed @ 16th March 2018, 3:44 PM

P.S. the avatar is a 1975 selfie so I look ever so slightly older now!

Older and more handsome, of course! Not one to brag.. Whistling nnocently

I was 12 in 1975, but my youthful good looks and hairline have receded, while my waistline has done the opposite.

OT because it's not guns related but have you ever visited the Very Large Array DaButt? Walking around that place is on my bucket list.

Quote: Kenneth @ 16th March 2018, 2:39 PM

Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud Gawn yersel, Kenneth!