Aww, shoot. Let's bang on about guns. Try to stay on target. Page 4

Quote: DaButt @ 3rd December 2017, 3:50 PM

She's not being trained to kill. She's being trained for the sport of competitive shooting. And very well, I might add.

Bullshit. There's no target. No precision careful aiming. Just shooting and reloading as fast as possible. Guns are designed for killing, duh!

Quote: DaButt @ 3rd December 2017, 3:41 PM

Yes. Honestly.

If you still can't see the connection, then it would suggest that guns are your religion. Very sad.

Quote: Kenneth @ 4th December 2017, 12:17 AM

Bullshit. There's no target. No precision careful aiming. Just shooting and reloading as fast as possible.

Shooting and quickly reloading are very much a part of competitive shooting. As are the commands issued by her father.

Quote: Kenneth @ 4th December 2017, 1:10 AM

If you still can't see the connection, then it would suggest that guns are your religion.

I would suggest that you've lost your mind.

Quote: DaButt @ 4th December 2017, 5:51 AM

Shooting and quickly reloading are very much a part of competitive shooting. As are the commands issued by her father.

Don't be so absurd. Reloading speed is useless without accuracy in hitting a target. The little girl in that video is not trying to line up a target; she's trying to get as many rounds off as possible. I think it's disgusting. But good for you if you get your thrills by watching little girls shooting.

Quote: DaButt @ 4th December 2017, 5:51 AM

I would suggest that you've lost your mind.

Because only sane people want guns in the hands of civilians and enjoy witnessing massacres? Yeah, right ...
And if you can't see the link between racism and guns, read up on some history. Were slaves allowed to own guns? After slavery was abolished, did the southern states issue legislation banning blacks from bearing arms?

This witty repartee shows why SNL and Frasier is so popular.

Quote: Kenneth @ 4th December 2017, 7:18 AM

Reloading speed is useless without accuracy in hitting a target. The little girl in that video is not trying to line up a target; she's trying to get as many rounds off as possible. I think it's disgusting.

As I've already said, reloading speed is a major component of competitive shooting. You can clearly see that she's closing one eye to aim, but she's in her living room. Aiming and shooting are practiced at the range. It can't really be done at home.

Here's a story from the local newspaper about her participation in shooting competitions: http://www.mysanantonio.com/lifestyle/article/8-year-old-SA-competitive-shooter-beats-adults-11727700.php

Quote: Kenneth @ 4th December 2017, 7:18 AM

And if you can't see the link between racism and guns, read up on some history. Were slaves allowed to own guns? After slavery was abolished, did the southern states issue legislation banning blacks from bearing arms?

So you're complaining that gun control is racist? Why didn't you say so in the first place?

That young girl is impressive and seems to be responsible but it's worrying that she might grow up to be in law enforcement. Being a police officer is dangerous everywhere but I can't understand how anyone would want to join the police in America when every suspect could be carrying a gun. In the UK it makes headline news when an officer is killed in the line of duty but I doubt it's national news in the US. The stats on odmp.org show officer deaths by guns far outweigh everything else every year so it must take a very brave individual to join up.

Not sure what point I'm trying to make with that, if any.

Quote: DaButt @ 4th December 2017, 2:07 PM

So you're complaining that gun control is racist? Why didn't you say so in the first place?

Merely trying to inform you of the link twixt racism and your gun culture. While the tedium of opprobrium is akin to a dose of cryptosporidium, Carry on snoring.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 4th December 2017, 7:19 PM

That young girl is impressive and seems to be responsible but it's worrying that she might grow up to be in law enforcement. Being a police officer is dangerous everywhere but I can't understand how anyone would want to join the police in America when every suspect could be carrying a gun. In the UK it makes headline news when an officer is killed in the line of duty but I doubt it's national news in the US. The stats on odmp.org show officer deaths by guns far outweigh everything else every year so it must take a very brave individual to join up.

We lose about one cop per week to gunfire, and news coverage tends to be local. I checked out the website you linked to and found that a cop was shot and killed yesterday in a city 45 miles from here. I hadn't heard about it, so I guess that kind of validates my statement.

Being a cop would be rewarding in many ways, but I could never do it. Too much fighting and interaction with the dregs of society for my liking, so I'm glad that there are people who are willing to do the job. Most of them are very good cops and don't deserve the reputation that they've garnered from a few high-profile incidents.

Quote: Kenneth @ 5th December 2017, 12:26 AM

Merely trying to inform you of the link twixt racism and your gun culture.

There is no link between racism and "gun culture." You correctly pointed out that gun control had its origins in racist legislation that has been thankfully been thrown on the trash heap of history.

Quote: DaButt @ 5th December 2017, 3:15 PM

We lose about one cop per week to gunfire

Have you ever considered banning and confiscating civilian-owned firearms then? You claim it will start a new civil war. That's just a lazy, defeatist, gun-loving, inhuman attitude. The "right" to carry a weapon specifically designed for killing is something you should consider relinquishing for the greater good. "But then all the bad guys will have the guns and we will be defenseless!" you'll bleat. So disarm them. "But that's impossible!" Stop bleating. Initiate a mental revolution. Stop making and selling the things. You need politicians and law enforcement agencies to administer tough medicine. Yes, there will be many selfish petulant violence-loving nuts who refuse to part with their beloved guns. Change the way your people think, take away the guns, save lives. Or just carry on with the massacres and misery. Your choice.

Quote: DaButt @ 5th December 2017, 3:15 PM

There is no link between racism and "gun culture."

Nonsense. Your country was built on racism. Blacks brought over as slaves. Whites with guns to control them. In the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries, many Americans feared armed blacks, so they tooled themselves up with guns. Not surprisingly, racism and social injustices spawned gangs, armed gangs.

In short, you have a massive problem with guns. You refuse to do anything to fix it. You're part of the problem.

>"But then all the bad guys will have the guns and we will be defenseless!"
> So disarm them.

There be the crux of the problem. Any suggestions to disarm the legal civilians must first come up with a viable method of disarming the baddies.

It hasn't worked in the UK and probably not in your Aus, where there are relatively few guns knocking about, so it may indeed be impossible.

Merry Christmas DaButt - the time for goodwill to all men :)

I like the Shorty and person holding it but what the hell is going on with the length of her jeans :D Maybe it's a cowboy boots thing. I would hope none of the guns are loaded and they never casually carry guns like that at home while loaded because that is irresponsible and asking for trouble.

hey DaButt I'm interested in your views on the Philip Brailsford incident. It's from almost two years ago but I saw it on the news a few days ago when he was found not guilty of murder or manslaughter and I watched the unedited video which I now regret doing but after seeing it censored on a tabloid website I had to see it in full to form an opinion and I'm still unsure. I can see the action that causes the officer to open fire but I'm not sure if that constitutes enough cause for the officer to use lethal force. Judging by the type of gun he was using he must have been from a special response police unit of some kind and trained in rules of engagement and dealing with suspects but his approach from the start seems to be disorganised and only confuses the suspect.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 12th December 2017, 12:27 AM

I like the Shorty and person holding it but what the hell is going on with the length of her jeans :D Maybe it's a cowboy boots thing.

You are probably correct. Boot-cut jeans.

hey DaButt I'm interested in your views on the Philip Brailsford incident.

That was an ugly one. It was ridiculous to charge him with murder, but something like manslaughter or reckless endangerment would have seemed appropriate. The cop's commands were all over the place, and it seems like he could have just handcuffed the guy earlier. So many things can and do go wrong: it's instinctive to pull your pants up if they're falling down, it's hard to crawl like that when you're drunk and probably even harder when a cop is pointing a rifle at you. I don't think the cop deserved a bunch of jail time, but he should never be able to work as a policeman again (he was fired a few months later) and the family deserves a big payment that will also serve as a painful reminder that the department needs better training. When a call about an armed suspect comes in the officers are always going to assume that the suspect is armed and dangerous, so things can go wrong very quickly if there's a struggle or a perceived motion to grab a firearm. Cops confront hundreds of thousands of armed individuals and the number of glaring mistakes like this one are probably only a few dozen, so I guess we're lucky that it doesn't happen more often.

Judging by the type of gun he was using he must have been from a special response police unit of some kind and trained in rules of engagement and dealing with suspects

I doubt he was part of a special response unit. They'd likely be better trained. Cops tend to carry AR-15s these days and although they rarely use them, it wouldn't be surprising in this instance because the initial report was of a man with a rifle.

Quote: DaButt @ 12th December 2017, 1:10 AM

You are probably correct. Boot-cut jeans.

That was an ugly one. It was ridiculous to charge him with murder, but something like manslaughter or reckless endangerment would have seemed appropriate. The cop's commands were all over the place, and it seems like he could have just handcuffed the guy earlier. So many things can and do go wrong: it's instinctive to pull your pants up if they're falling down, it's hard to crawl like that when you're drunk and probably even harder when a cop is pointing a rifle at you. I don't think the cop deserved a bunch of jail time, but he should never be able to work as a policeman again (he was fired a few months later) and the family deserves a big payment that will also serve as a painful reminder that the department needs better training. When a call about an armed suspect comes in the officers are always going to assume that the suspect is armed and dangerous, so things can go wrong very quickly if there's a struggle or a perceived motion to grab a firearm. Cops confront hundreds of thousands of armed individuals and the number of glaring mistakes like this one are probably only a few dozen, so I guess we're lucky that it doesn't happen more often.

I doubt he was part of a special response unit. They'd likely be better trained. Cops tend to carry AR-15s these days and although they rarely use them, it wouldn't be surprising in this instance because the initial report was of a man with a rifle.

Cheers for your take on it DaButt and everything you say is exactly what I was thinking as well. Looking at the comments on youtube most people didn't understand why the officer didn't cuff him sooner or why he was made to crawl forward. It's chilling because the camera angle make it seem like 3rd person mode in a video game.