Aww, shoot. Let's bang on about guns. Try to stay on target. Page 11

Quote: DaButt @ 18th March 2018, 3:50 PM

Some important info about "assault" rifles and past/present attempts to ban sales of them:

1) The banned features are almost entirely cosmetic and have nothing to do with the rifle's lethality. Take grandpa's hunting rifle and add a pistol grip and it's illegal.

I'd say that adding the pistol grip does make it more lethal and I speak only as a bit of a WW2 anorak knowing the origin of the 'machine pistol' as the Nazi military called it. From the MP28 onwards what we called the sub machine gun was more accurately called the machine pistol. It all hinged around the pistol grip which allowed you to shoot from the hip for much faster emptying of a magazine without the need to use the sights which are redundant at close range. These weapons were designed for short range like a pistol using the same ammo and the only upgrade from a Luger was they were fully auto - machine gun fire if selected, and ofcourse carried a larger magazine.

So put a pistol grip on a semi auto rifle and you have a far easier to swing and shoot rifle because your strong right hand is not only firing it but steering it from the grip, a much harder thing to do with a 15lb loaded rifle without a grip, as Dabutt can tell you. And they fire as fast as your finger can tap, which is barely slower than a machine gun and you're using rifle ammo which kill at a far longer range. Personally I see no practical need for such a weapon except for military and police use. It has a hobby use for enthusiasts, so keep it in gun clubs only.

You don't need it for home protection, a shotgun does that job better, I'd be very surprised if it's legal to use for recreational hunting, you can't conceal it like a handgun so it can't be carried as personal protection, if you're attacked by a pack of hungry wolves out camping then your shotgun will see them off although there are many non lethal alternatives. I see no public ownership need at all for the assault rifle as oppose to the above guns mentioned. It's just a legal killing machine for nutjobs with grudges as we keep seeing. :(

They're marching in Washington and the usual celebrities and politicians (people who are protected 24/7 by armed guards) are saying the usual things about guns: "We need to do something about gun violence. We don't want to take your guns (but we want to take your guns) and it's not political (but it is political)."

I did what I always do when the demands for "common sense" legislation echo through Washington: I joined the NRA.

God it's so depressing seeing all those young people marching and making speeches

They still don't get it do they?

Your wasting your breath guys!

Nothing is gonna change

Ever

Ask mommy to save up and buy you a bullet proof vest and organise a tank to take you to school each day

Your leaders don't give a flying f**k - in fact they probably like these mass shootings - keeps the population down - less mouths to feed

Give it up and pray you ain't got a bullet with your name on it

Quote: lofthouse @ 24th March 2018, 6:42 PM

God it's so depressing seeing all those young people marching and making speeches

They still don't get it do they?

Your wasting your breath guys!

Nothing is gonna change

Ever

Ask mommy to save up and buy you a bullet proof vest and organise a tank to take you to school each day

Your leaders don't give a flying f**k - in fact they probably like these mass shootings - keeps the population down - less mouths to feed

Give it up and pray you ain't got a bullet with your name on it

:D

Quote: DaButt @ 24th March 2018, 4:02 PM

They're marching in Washington and the usual celebrities and politicians (people who are protected 24/7 by armed guards) are saying the usual things about guns: "We need to do something about gun violence. We don't want to take your guns (but we want to take your guns) and it's not political (but it is political)."

I did what I always do when the demands for "common sense" legislation echo through Washington: I joined the NRA.

'Numpty' is the word that springs to mind, but, hey, your IQ is so super duper you must be right.

Remember girls sticking flowers in the barrels of the GI guns during Vietnam?Lots more wars since then.It's natural to have principles and ideals when you are young,capitalism grinds you down in the end though.

I joined the NRA.

You are so cool.

Quote: Bill Poster @ 24th March 2018, 9:06 PM

Remember girls sticking flowers in the barrels of the GI guns during Vietnam?Lots more wars since then.It's natural to have principles and ideals when you are young,capitalism grinds you down in the end though.

Spot on. The young can be very passionate about changing the world, but they don't always understand the way the world works.

"When your old-ass parent is like, 'I don't know how to send an iMessage,' and you're just like, 'Give me the f**king phone and let me handle it.' Sadly, that's what we have to do with our government; our parents don't know how to use a f**king democracy, so we have to."
- David Hogg (teenage march organizer)

Out of the mouths of babes. I thought I knew everything when I was his age, too. But now his movement has been co-opted by the usual suspects, and he and his friends have become part of the political machine. Just as the Palestinians love to wave photos of injured babies and children, so does the anti-gun movement. They're pawns in the political games of the grownups, now. Millions of untraceable dollars will be used to try to achieve their overlords' political goals.

Quote: Kenneth @ 25th March 2018, 11:34 AM

You are so cool.

No, just following my principles. And now when an anti-gun person tries to tell me that I "have the blood of children on my hands" due to my actions and beliefs, I'll tell them that they have NRA money on their hands due to their anti-gun actions and beliefs. One stupid remark deserves another. :)

It is quite frightening when somebody supposedly reasonable insists on reacting like this. Do you sum up the majority of the USA? God help the world!

Quote: Chappers @ 25th March 2018, 6:05 PM

It is quite frightening when somebody supposedly reasonable insists on reacting like this.

The NRA defends Americans' Second Amendment rights. It's a natural reaction when said rights are threatened. It's no more frightening than someone donating to Greenpeace or an opposition political candidate. It's how the game of politics is played.

Quote: DaButt @ 25th March 2018, 6:23 PM

The NRA defends Americans' Second Amendment rights. It's a natural reaction when said rights are threatened. It's no more frightening than someone donating to Greenpeace or an opposition political candidate. It's how the game of politics is played.

That's EXACTLY what I mean. You think you've got a God given right to own killing machines and refuse to see anyone else's point of view.

God bless America - and the rest of the world!

I wonder if now is the time to introduce an 'Arsehole of the Year' award. Just saying.

Quote: Briosaid @ 25th March 2018, 8:17 PM

I wonder if now is the time to introduce an 'Arsehole of the Year' award. Just saying.

Are you actually saying that you think there is a bigger one than me?

Debates going nowhere now

Why not lock this thread

Then in a few months when another dozen or so students have had their brain matter splattered all over the playground- you can reopen it and we can pickup where we left off?

It won't make any difference.It's like having a debate about religion.
It's all highly illogical.(Jim)

Quote: Chappers @ 25th March 2018, 8:31 PM

Are you actually saying that you think there is a bigger one than me?

It pains me to say it, but yes.

Quote: lofthouse @ 25th March 2018, 8:45 PM

Debates going nowhere now

Why not lock this thread

Then in a few months when another dozen or so students have had their brain matter splattered all over the playground- you can reopen it and we can pickup where we left off?

Oh, yes.