Favourite Drink

I prefer whisky and beer. What's your favourite drink?

Together? Nah! Just beer, a nice dark ale, or cider in the summer. I had to endure cold lager when i was in Crete recently.

Give me a cup of tea anytime.

I'm essentially a beer guy, but my neighbors sometimes talk me into a margarita or an early morning mimosa. One guy is into very expensive scotch and bourbon, so sometimes I'll sip on some while we smoke a good cigar.

I brew most of the beer I drink. I mostly brew bitters and pale ales, but I currently have a strong Scotch ale on tap. Yesterday I found a recipe that's supposed to approximate Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter and I've always loved the stuff, so I'm going to give it a shot. Their yeast is the key ingredient, so I'm out of luck here in Texas. I'm going to try to find a kindly soul in the UK who will send me the dregs from a can/bottle/cask so that I can grow my own.

Quote: DaButt @ 1st November 2017, 6:26 PM

I'm essentially a beer guy, but my neighbors sometimes talk me into a margarita or an early morning mimosa. One guy is into very expensive scotch and bourbon, so sometimes I'll sip on some while we smoke a good cigar.

I brew most of the beer I drink. I mostly brew bitters and pale ales, but I currently have a strong Scotch ale on tap. Yesterday I found a recipe that's supposed to approximate Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter and I've always loved the stuff, so I'm going to give it a shot. Their yeast is the key ingredient, so I'm out of luck here in Texas. I'm going to try to find a kindly soul in the UK who will send me the dregs from a can/bottle/cask so that I can grow my own.

Is that really how brewing works and you just need a sample of the yeast to cultivate? It's not a brand I've heard of but if I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I spot it as I would be happy to send some over. That's a lot less expensive than you popping over to buy some :D I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the big supermarkets expand in to the international home delivery market.

I like the refreshing taste of an ice cold lager but would like to expand in to ales and bitters which are not carbonated and can be consumed at room temperature. I also like whiskey and the occasional small (VERY LARGE) glass of Bailey's cream at Christmas. I try to avoid sweet alcoholic drinks because it can be very easy to get blotto without realising.

Real ale.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 1st November 2017, 6:50 PM

Is that really how brewing works and you just need a sample of the yeast to cultivate? It's not a brand I've heard of but if I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I spot it as I would be happy to send some over.

Thanks, but I actually just found an online yeast bank in the UK that will send me their Sussex 1 strain that is reputed to be Harvey's house yeast. It cost £15.90, most of which was shipping, but it's really not all that bad, since a (much larger) package of yeast at my local homebrew store is the equivalent of about £7. It'll come as a tiny vial, but all I'll have to do is grow it up on a stir plate in some wort (essentially beer, but without hops) and I'll have as much as I need.

There are thousands of strains of yeast, but most don't make a very tasty beer. English strains tend to be fruity and estery, while many American beers use a very clean yeast that allows the hop character to shine. There are dozens of commercially available yeasts, all of which have been sourced from famous breweries. Every now and then a brewery will either capture their own wild yeast, or they will use a traditional yeast, but decades of reuse will cause the yeast to mutate until it's its own unique strain. This is what's called a "house yeast."

Harvey's yeast was sourced from John Smith's brewery in Tadcaster 60 years ago after their yeast supplier went belly up. They've reused it for so long that it's become their own, unique, yeast. Here's their story:

https://www.harveys.org.uk/60th-anniversary-harveys-yeast/

British bitters tend to be very simple: Maris Otter malt, a little caramel/crystal malt, one or more of 3 or 4 types of British hops, and yeast. The yeast contributes much of a beer's character and is probably the single most important ingredient. Water chemistry also plays a huge role, so I typically start out with mineral-free reverse osmosis water and then add various salts (mostly gypsum and calcium chloride) in order to replicate the water of famous breweries, or to ensure that the water is appropriate for a certain style.

DaButt, why on earth aren't you brewing commercially?

Harvey's Sussex is really good.

Another drink I like is half a pint of Harvey's Bristol Cream. I couldn't manage a pint I don't think.

Just had a couple of pints of Adnam's Ghost Ship at my local Pub quiz. Quite appropriately we won the drinks round.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 1st November 2017, 5:29 PM

Give me a cup of tea anytime.

With you on that one. Haven't touched alcohol for over three years and don't miss it one bit.

Quote: playfull @ 1st November 2017, 9:58 PM

DaButt, why on earth aren't you brewing commercially?

I don't have a million dollars on hand to start a brewery. :)

I'm not really a business-minded person. I don't want to stress over profits and hiring and firing and all of the other hassles that come with owning a business. Brewing is a fun and relaxing hobby and I'm not sure that I'd enjoy it as much if it were to become a business. I just like making beer in the garage for myself and my friends.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st November 2017, 11:13 PM

Haven't touched alcohol for over three years and don't miss it one bit.

It's definitely a severe problem for some people, and an obstacle for others, but a pint with friends can also be one of life's greatest pleasures. And to bring the conversation full circle, the Harvey's brewery which I mentioned earlier is located in Lewes, which you mentioned earlier in another thread.

Tea, splash of milk, no sugar.
Coffee, sweet and milky.

Cider, somewhere between dry and sweet.

Occasional liqueur, normally Disaronno.

Quote: DaButt @ 2nd November 2017, 1:24 PM

And to bring the conversation full circle, the Harvey's brewery which I mentioned earlier is located in Lewes, which you mentioned earlier in another thread.

It's a small world - I will have to ask my "son in law" about that as he is into his beers. (He is also very keen on bourbon)

Picture the scene - nice restaurant (linen tablecloth, natch) , sun-dappled terrace, good company...

Campari on the rocks - slice of orange.

I've tried it Lazzard - tasted like nasty medicine to me (I know - I'm a peasant)