"I can't watch it, it'll ruin the memories for me" Page 2

Quote: Sixty3closure @ 24th November 2017, 12:11 AM

Returning to comedy I've toyed with buying some Skyes DVDs and while the odd one I've seen on BBC Four were interesting I'm not sure a whole DVD would hold my attention.

Oh, it's an utter joy. I know still a bit pricey right now, but really, don't think twice. Eric's writing is timeless.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/sykes/shop/5259/complete_series/

Quote: Aaron @ 26th November 2017, 3:23 PM

Oh, it's an utter joy. I know still a bit pricey right now, but really, don't think twice. Eric's writing is timeless.

That.

It'll come down eventually and I will be in like a shot.

I didn't watch the new Open All Hours.
As much as I love David Jason, it just felt so wrong and I don't really know why.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 1st November 2017, 10:26 AM

The Young Ones definitely stopped at the right time. Those last two episodes really are firing on all cylinders and they couldn't possibly top them. Future attempts to continue the style (Filthy... and even the much-adored Bottom) never hit it in the same way; Happy Families was great but a very different style. I may be misremembering but I think they killed the characters off at the end partly cos it was their cruel style of humour, partly to make it hard to do another series when they hit middle-age and fancied a bit of dough.
After the show went ballistic Rik said his next project would be radically different and enter new fields. Hence:
Young Ones, manic, ingratiating but gross Rik.
FRC: manic, ingratiating but gross Richie.
Bot: manic, ingratiating but gross Richie.
Apparently there was talk of a second series of Happy Families but it's so perfectly wound up at the end I've no idea how this would have worked.
The Office finishes beautifully to total satisfaction. The only way is down.
Fawlty Towers would have got worse too - they always do, even Porridge and A Bit of Fry and Laurie. I always thought there was huge dip in Hitchhiker's Guide after the second bout (second radio series i.e. first part of the second book) and I'm surprised no one else seemed to notice.
Blackadder should have finished in 1985.
Last Of The Summer Wine should have gone on much longer. There was so much more mileage in those characters.

Ever noticed how the best TV shows only have 2 seasons?

The Thin Blue Line springs to mind.

Quote: Kapow @ 30th November 2017, 7:51 PM

Ever noticed how the best TV shows only have 2 seasons?

The Thin Blue Line springs to mind.

So as well as the good ones The Thin Blue Line only had two SERIES did it?

A lot of the time they just don't have the heart and that's all it is. The comedy is there, the acting and casting but if the heart is missing it isn't going to work.

Quote: Chappers @ 30th November 2017, 11:14 PM

So as well as the good ones The Thin Blue Line only had two SERIES did it?

THAT - nice one Chappers.