Sitcoms about musicians?

What sitcoms have there been about musicians? Flight of the Conchords isn't quite a sitcom, and it's all I can think of.

Not a well explored area, Brian Pern might also be called a spoof.

Jacko in Brush Strokes went out with a violinist.

Quote: Nogget @ 26th October 2017, 6:58 AM

What sitcoms have there been about musicians? Flight of the Conchords isn't quite a sitcom, and it's all I can think of.

Uncle isn't really a sitcom, but the lead character's music career is a central theme. It's also very Conchord-ish.

I Love Lucy was about a bandleader and his wife.

Glee
The Banana Splits
The Monkeys
The Muppets (Animal etc..)
The Life of Rock with Brian Pern
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (2 were established rap stars before the sitcom)
Phoebe in Friends (smelly cat) has a tentative claim.

There's also a bunch of American teen musical "comedies" please don't make me find them. Glee is probably the best of that bunch.
I hope that helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9nND1iuom4

The Partridge Family. (Not to be confused with Alan.)

Both The Goodies and The Young Ones had musical inserts. And Blackadder 2 had a minstrel being chased every episode.

Celeb with Harry Enfield, and Teenage Kicks with Ade Edmondson. (Who I think was a musician?)

Plus the new sitcom Timewasters.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 26th October 2017, 3:42 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9nND1iuom4

That's a perfect example, thanks!

Quote: zooo @ 26th October 2017, 4:32 PM

Celeb with Harry Enfield, and Teenage Kicks with Ade Edmondson. (Who I think was a musician?)

Plus the new sitcom Timewasters.

I didn't ever see the first two (and nothing is on YouTube) and I've yet to see Timewasters, so I'll check it out...thanks for the suggestions, zooo.

Quote: DaButt @ 26th October 2017, 3:54 PM

The Partridge Family. (Not to be confused with Alan.)

Thanks...I somehow never watched a single episode. Amazingly, there's nothing on YouTube, either.

Thanks for all the other suggestions everybody, but most of them I wouldn't call sitcoms.

Quote: Nogget @ 26th October 2017, 7:03 PM

Thanks...I somehow never watched a single episode. Amazingly, there's nothing on YouTube, either.

It was a big hit here, part of the one-two Friday night punch of The Brady Bunch and The Partridge Family.

There are several episodes on YouTube, but I don't know if they'll play in the UK.

I always had a thing for Shirley Jones.

The Monkees was of course basically a sitcom - although it was American!

Parents Of The Band.

Quote: Aaron @ 27th October 2017, 2:40 PM

Parents Of The Band.

That looks worth checking out. I can see good casting with Jimmy Nail and from the description it sounds promising. Maybe a combo of Inbetweeners and Bad News in an ideal world.

It seems like there is a gap for a sitcom about musicians. I can envisage a group of thirtysomthing professional orchestra members who spend as much time having sex with each other than they do in concert.

I suppose they need to go home as well, or there isn't a conflict. Presumably why Josh isn't touring?

Okay, not that many sitcoms about musicians then but there've been plenty comedy dramas and comedy films about them, so it's certainly not an overlooked subject, it just appears to be one that suits a lower form of comedy, eh.