Documentaries Online

Which are some of the best documentaries to watch online? Any suggestions.

Hello Sanjeev,

I guess it depends on what subjects you like? If you like history documentaries anything with Tony Robinson or Bettany Hughes tend to be good. If you like science documentaries I'm a huge Michio Kaku fan, so anything with him in.

Blue Planet 2 has just started, always worth a watch on BBC I Player.

If you could be more pacific on what you like that would help with suggestions.

My favourite documentary series are Simon Schamas history of Britain, The World at War and Ken Burns' The West

All excellent

Quote: Kealy @ 21st October 2017, 1:49 PM

Hello Sanjeev,

I guess it depends on what subjects you like? If you like history documentaries anything with Tony Robinson or Bettany Hughes tend to be good. If you like science documentaries I'm a huge Michio Kaku fan, so anything with him in.

Bettany Hughes is in a new documentary this week and anything with Lucy Worsley or Janina Ramirez is worth a wank - sorry watch.

Dirty Boy! :O

Or doctor suzannah Lipscomb!

:)

I flipping love a good documentory and youtube is great for documentory channels but the downside is the picture quality isn't always tiptop even from the official channels and can be pot luck. If you type in "Air Crash Investigation" or "Megastructures" or "Mighty Ships" in to youtube you will have hundreds of hours of full episodes to watch. They are all well made documentories especially Air Crash Investigation which goes in to great detail examining incidents with reconstructions and the subsequent investigations and conclusions. One of the more eye opening episodes is called Kid In The Cockpit which was about an Aeroflot commercial flight where the captain had brought his children along and let them come in to the cockpit, sit in the captains seat and incredibly, let them hold the controls which caused the plane to enter a steep bank in to a nosedive.

Another intersting episode is Mistaken Identity which is about the shooting down of an Iranian passenger aircraft in 1988 by American warship USS Vincennes who believed it to be a hostile military aircraft. The episode explores every failure that contributed to the disaster.

Quote: Chappers @ 21st October 2017, 3:54 PM

Bettany Hughes is in a new documentary this week and anything with Lucy Worsley or Janina Ramirez is worth a wank - sorry watch.

Tony doesn't make the list then?:D I'll have to check the Bettany Hughes documentary out on Demand 5. I missed it on Friday.

Quote: lofthouse @ 21st October 2017, 4:06 PM

Or doctor suzannah Lipscomb!:)

Suzannah Lipscomb is hot.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 21st October 2017, 8:35 PM

. One of the more eye opening episodes is called Kid In The Cockpit which was about an Aeroflot commercial flight where the captain had brought his children along and let them come in to the cockpit, sit in the captains seat and incredibly, let them hold the controls which caused the plane to enter a steep bank in to a nosedive.

I think I've seen the episode where he lets the kid control the plane. The plane would have automatically corrected the nosedive by itself. But the pilot tried to override it manually not realising, causing it to crash. It was something like that anyway.

Here are some suggestions for documentaries I've watched over the last few years that are very good and can be found on youtube. The First Emperor of China, Genius of the Modern Word- Friedrich Nietzche (Bettany Hughes) the other two episodes in the series might be worth watching. Richard III (Tony Robinson). Britain's Real Monarch this kind of follows on from the Richard III doc, so maybe watch that one first. And Richard III - The New Evidence. All good stuff in my opinion.

Quote: Kealy @ 21st October 2017, 1:49 PM

Hello Sanjeev,

Blue Planet 2 has just started, always worth a watch on BBC I Player.

If you could be more pacific on what you like that would help with suggestions.

My interests include adventure, science, mystery, etc.

Check out any of the medieval docs by Professor Robert Bartlett. This man really knows his stuff and unlike a lot of the modern TV historians doesn't play to the gallery by showing off/dressing up or acting the fool.

Time Team is always interesting and I like how they often have a well earned pint after a hard days diggin'.

Blackfish is a very good documentory about SeaWorld parks and orcas in captivity. Some very sad moments in particular the death of Dawn Brancheau. The injuries she sustained affected me for some time after watching it.