Your Favourite Sketches? Page 2

The Smack the Pony parking sketch, Four Candles, Catherine Tate's nan sketches, Little Britain's Lou and Andy at the pool, Fast Show's Does-my-bum-look-big-in-this sketches, loads from Goodness Gracious Me and French and Saunders...it's hard to stop thinking of them once you start!

What did people make of Little Miss Joycelyn which started on BBC 3 last night?

The reviews I'd heard were so bad, I didn't bother watching. Thoughts anyone?

Quote: Aaron @ August 23, 2006, 2:50 PM

The reviews I'd heard were so bad, I didn't bother watching. Thoughts anyone?

The promo advert for Little Miss Jocelyn irritated me immensely, but I still watched yesterdays episode out of curiosity. The first 30 seconds were all right, but it went down hill from there. I changed the channel after ten minutes.

The four Yorkshiremen sketch:

"Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

Nope, nope.."

Also the 'fish slapping dance', 'lumberjack song', 'upper class twit of the year' and 'ministry of silly walks' from Monty Python.

Ah, classics there. Some very funny stuff! :)

I just watched an old Two Ronnies repeat. Some of their sketches are hilarious, (just perhaps not the ones where they black up. Oh dear.)
They, or their writers, were fantastic at wordplay and puns. Even though I generally hate puns on principle.

From my fav sketch shows

Little Britain - Marjorie Dawes

Smack The Pony - The video dating sketches were brilliant especially Music Box and Teeny Weeny Buffalo coming round the mountain.

Harry Enfield - Harry and Lou Lou crack me up and the one were Wayne Slob wins lottery and moves in with some supermodel.

Catherine Tate - Bernie The Nurse and The Sweet Smell Of Success.

Pretty much any sketch in Big Train. But particularly the one with the model train on the map.

Another Big Train sketch which has just popped into my head - the French love story involving a set of traffic lights :D :D :D

Big Train was really underrated, much better than Little Britain. Two other sketches that stick in my mind...the one where Simon Pegg is allergic to spoons and it ends up with him jumping out of a window. The shot of him lying on the pavement always cracks me up. And the one where the guy buys the Ritz and says that he doesn't want to make any major changes, except for changing the name to the Titz Hotel, cue lots of people trying to tell the difference between 'tits' and 'titz'.

Does anyone remember Naked Video, that was classic, it was a sketch show that spawned Rab C Nesbitt and The Baldy Man

I agree, Big Train was very underrated. The best thing for me was that none of the characters or sketches were repeated (aside from within the same episode). Therefore, I appreciate the amount (and quality) of writing that had to go in to create brand new characters and situations each week.

As much as I love Little Britain, it does seem to repeat the same joke with the same characters (albeit in different situations).

Hey Aaron, how about a Big Train Fan Club board? :D :P

Quote: Kirk @ August 25, 2006, 4:03 PM

Hey Aaron, how about a Big Train Fan Club board? :D :P

Ooh, not sure about that one quite yet...

Anything from harry enfield, monty pyphon, two ronnies, goodness gracious me, fry and laurie and little britain

BUT THATS ALL :P

Me, i gotta say i think sketches are like the gillette Mach 3 of comedy. They are cheap and disposable, designed to go in, make you laugh and then get out fast. I take this attitude to sketchwriting too. Sometimes you can run a gag using a character over a series, as long as the joke escalates and doesn't rely on moronic catchphrases.

But in essence i have no favourite sketch cos once i've seen it, it's history. It either did its job or it didn't. In my first novel a character is watching TV and bemoans that what irritates him and (i guess the Monty Python team in secret) is that every time MP's FC come on our screens "it's another effing re-run of the Parrot sketch and Lumberjack song."