Upstart Crow - Series 2 & 3 Page 3

Yes, he thought up a good way to end the series with some fashionable pathos. Still have a couple to watch from this series but so far I've found it a step up in scripting from the last lot, very busy dialogue and packed with references while plotting's taken a step back with Greene having much less to do. He popped in for a token cameo last night but Elton's almost changed the nature of the show for this series going for much more contemporary satire and point making instead of the more cartoony early Greene's jealousy focused eps.

The show doesn't seem to get much press and not sure its viewing figures are too great but I think it's worthy of a Bafta for its bold satire alone, the anti religion diatribe at the start was bang on and quite strong. This sitcom has brought out the old motormouth in Elton, he seems to have really loved the subject and could easily keep this going. Needs a proper good Christmas special now to top it off like the 70s classics did. Looking forward to it.

I wondered whether they'd address Hamnet's death. Did it well, I thought.

Whilst there's a lot that's infuriatingly artificial and by the book about this show, I have enjoyed all 3 series alot, and I'll be honest, I wasn't sure I would.

Watching this back I'm finding Bottom a bit redundant and flat as a character. Upstart Crow already isn't as theatrical as Blackadder so having a character like that on top of it really isn't needed, and doesn't quite fit. As for the writing it turned out very well considering how dire some of Elton's recent stuff has been, and some of the excerpts of his new novel suggest the return to form wasn't permanent.

The occasional line is a bit off but overall this was a very good, accessible series about Shakespeare.

How can you say that Upstart Crow isn't as theatrical as Blackadder? How many successful aside speakers do you know in real life?

Does anyone know if it's coming back for further series or was that the last one?

Also, how are they going to address the elephant in the room that is the still breathing Robert Greene (who in real life died 4 years before Hamnet)?

Quote: Mark W @ 28th August 2019, 11:40 PM

Does anyone know if it's coming back for further series or was that the last one?

Also, how are they going to address the elephant in the room that is the still breathing Robert Greene (who in real life died 4 years before Hamnet)?

Well if it doesn't come back, it won't have to be addressed, and why let history interfere with a good story. :)

Quote: Mark W @ 28th August 2019, 11:40 PM

By doing what they did with Marlowe and advertising his fake death so he can live a secret life in peace? Elton is smug enough to try anything. Real Shakespeare scholars will already be moaning about the lack of Thomas Kyd in this early Shakespeare sitcom so Elton's inventive story lines won't make any difference. I get the feeling this sitcom is critically liked without being watched by that many.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 29th August 2019, 12:05 AM

Real Shakespeare scholars will already be moaning about the lack of Thomas Kyd in this early Shakespeare sitcom

You can bet his brother, Sam, would have been in all the early Shakespeare sitcoms.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 29th August 2019, 8:38 AM

You can bet his brother, Sam, would have been in all the early Shakespeare sitcoms.

This joke meets with Aaron's seal of approval.

In answer to the question: Upstart Crow is expected to return, but it's not been confirmed.